Use the sync client on virtual desktops
For all supported operating systems, the OneDrive sync client supports:
- Virtual desktops that persist between sessions.
- Non-persistent environments that use Windows Virtual Desktop preview.
The sync client also supports non-persistent environments that have FSLogix Apps 2.8 or later, FSLogix Office 365 Container, and a Microsoft 365 or Office 365 subscription for all of the following operating systems:
- Windows 10, 32 or 64-bit (supports VHDX files)
- Windows 7, 32 or 64-bit (supports VHD files)
- Windows Server 2016 R2 or Windows Server 2012 R2 (both support VHDX)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (supports VHD)
Using the OneDrive sync client with non-persistent environments requires that you install the sync client per machine.
For Windows Server, the SMB network file sharing protocol is also required.
For info about creating virtual hard disks, see Manage virtual hard disks