Change settings for Power BI reports
APPLIES TO: ✔️ Power BI Desktop ✔️ Power BI service
With the report settings in Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service, you can control how report readers interact with your report. For example, you can allow them to save filters for the report, personalize the visuals in the report, or display the report pages as tabs across the bottom of the report instead of along the side.
It might be helpful to read these articles first:
- Create a report in the Power BI service by importing a dataset, to understand the report creation experience.
- Reports in Power BI, to understand your report readers' experience.
Let's get started!
- For creating reports using Power BI Desktop, see Desktop report view.
- Sign up for the Power BI service.
- You need to have edit permission for the report in the Power BI service. See Roles in the new workspaces for details on permission.
- If you don't already have a report in the Power BI service, you can install a sample content pack containing a dashboard, report, and dataset.
Open the Settings pane
Select File > Options and settings > Options.
Under Current file, select Report settings.
The rest of this article calls out some of the specific report settings.
Set featured content
You can feature dashboards, reports, and apps so they appear in the Featured section of your colleagues' Power BI Home page. Read more about how to feature content.
Set the Pages pane
Currently you can only change the Pages pane setting in the Power BI service. When you toggle Pages pane on, report readers see the report page tabs along the bottom of the report in Reading view, instead of along the side. In Edit view, the report page tabs are already along the bottom of the report.
The report Settings pane has three settings for controlling reader interactions with the filters on your report. The following links go to the Format the filters in Power BI reports article for details on each setting.
Persistent filters allow readers to save filters on the report.
Filtering experience has two more settings:
Allow report readers to change filter types.
Enable search in the filter pane.
By default, report readers can export summarized or underlying data from visuals in your report. With Export data, you can allow them to export only summarized data, or to export no data at all from your report.
Allow your readers to change and personalize the visuals in your report. Read more about letting report readers personalize visuals.
Submit and view feedback for