Publish from Power BI Desktop
When you publish a Power BI Desktop file to the Power BI service, the data in the model and any reports you created in Report view are published to your Power BI workspace. You’ll see a new dataset with the same name, and any reports in your Workspace navigator.
Publishing from Power BI Desktop has the same effect as using Get Data in Power BI to connect to and upload a Power BI Desktop file.
Any changes you make to the report in Power BI, for example, add, delete, or change visualizations in reports, will not be saved back to the original Power BI Desktop file.
To publish a Power BI Desktop dataset and reports
In Power BI Desktop select File > Publish > Publish to Power BI or click Publish on the ribbon.
Sign in to Power BI.
Select the destination.
When complete, you receive a link to your report. Click the link to open the report in your Power BI site.
Re-publish or replace a dataset published from Power BI Desktop
When you publish a Power BI Desktop file, the dataset and any reports you created in Power BI Desktop are uploaded to your Power BI site. When you re-publish your Power BI Desktop file, the dataset in your Power BI site will be replaced with the updated dataset from the Power BI Desktop file.
This is all straightforward, but there are a few things you should know:
- If you already have two or more datasets in Power BI with the same name as the Power BI Desktop file, publish could fail. Make sure you have only one dataset in Power BI with the same name. You can also rename the file and publish, creating a new dataset with same name as the file.
- If you rename or delete a column or measure, any visualizations you already have in Power BI with that field could be broken.
- Power BI ignores some format changes of existing columns. For example, if you change a column’s format from 0.25 to 25%.
- If you have a refresh schedule configured for your existing dataset in Power BI and you add new data sources to your file and then re-publish, you’ll have to sign into them in Manage Data Sources prior to the next scheduled refresh.
- When you republish a dataset published from Power BI Desktop and have a refresh schedule defined, a dataset refresh is initiated as soon as you republish.