Customize visualization titles, legends, and backgrounds (Tutorial)
In this tutorial you'll learn a few different ways to customize your visualizations. There are so many options for customizing your visualizations, the best way to learn about them all is by exploring the Formatting pane (select the paintroller icon). To get you started, this article shows you how to customize a visualization title, legend, and background.
Not all visualizations can be customized, see the complete list.
Watch Amanda customize visualizations in her report (fast-forward to 4:50 in the video). Then follow the instructions below the video to try it out yourself with your own data.
- Power BI service or Power BI Desktop
- Retail Analysis sample
Customize visualization titles in reports
When you pin a visualization to a dashboard, it becomes a dashboard tile. The tiles themselves can also be customized with new titles and subtitles, hyperlinks, and resized.
- Navigate to the "New Stores" page of the report and select the "Open Store Count by Open Month..." column chart.
In the Visualizations pane, select the paintroller icon to reveal the formatting options. and select Title to expand that section.
Turn Title on and off by selecting the On (or Off) slider. For now, leave it On.
- Change Title Text by typing Store count by month opened in the text field.
Change Font color to orange and Background Color to yellow.
- Select the dropdown and choose a color from the Theme Colors, Recent Colors, or Custom color.
- Select the dropdown to close the color window.
You can always revert to the default colors by selecting Revert to default in the color window.
- Increase the text size to 12.
The last customization we'll make to the chart title is to align it in the center of the visualization. The title position defaults to left-aligned.
At this point in the tutorial, your column chart title should look like something like this:
To revert all the title customization we've done so far, select Revert To Default, at the bottom of the Title customization pane.
Customize visualization backgrounds
With the same column chart selected, expand the Background options.
- Turn the background on and off by selecting the On (or Off) slider. For now, leave it On.
Change the background color to 74% grey.
- Select the dropdown and choose a grey color from the Theme Colors, Recent Colors, or Custom color.
- Change Transparency to 74%.
To revert all the title background customization we've done so far, select Revert To Default, at the bottom of the Background customization pane.
Customize visualization legends
- Open the Overview report page and select the "Total Sales Variance by FiscalMonth and District Manager" chart.
- In the Visualization tab, select the paintbrush icon to open the formatting pane.
Expand Legend options.
- Turn the legend on and off by selecting the On (or Off) slider. For now, leave it On.
- Move the legend to the left side of the visualization.
Add a legend title by toggling Title to On and, in the Legend name field, typing Managers.
To revert all the legend customization we've done so far, select Revert To Default, at the bottom of the Legend customization pane.
Visualization types that can be customized
|multi row card||yes||yes||n/a|