Overview of Power BI 2020 release wave 2
Some of the functionality described in this release plan has not been released. Delivery timelines may change and projected functionality may not be released (see Microsoft policy). Learn more: What's new and planned
Microsoft business intelligence simplifies how organizations derive insights from transactional and observational data. It helps organizations create a data culture where employees can make decisions based on facts, not opinions. We’re investing in three key areas that drive a data culture:
- Amazing data experiences
- Modern enterprise BI
- Insights where decisions are made
Review our release announcements from Microsoft Business Applications Summit 2020.
Amazing data experiences
To build a data culture, every single individual needs to have instantly familiar experiences combined with AI-infused insights. Get monthly updates that include enhanced reporting capabilities to make it easier than ever to author compelling content as well as a continued focus on enabling AI insights that are immediately impactful. To enable everyone in the organization to get insights wherever they are and in context, we developed the world leading mobile BI app and enabled embedding BI in your applications, websites, and portals. This enables individuals across an organization to drive and grow the data culture within organizations.
Modern enterprise BI
Power BI can scale to meet the most demanding needs of large enterprise customers, which is why more and more customers are choosing to standardize on Power BI. Enable your organization to create a global, governed, scalable, secure, and unified BI platform that meets the needs of both self-service and centralized BI. Move to one modern, compliant platform as the single destination for business analytics with key enterprise-facing updates on enterprise-grade semantic models, reporting, application lifecycle management, and data management at worldwide scale.
Insights where decisions are made
The third, and perhaps the area of innovation that customers value the most, is to help weave BI deep into the fabric of the organization.
- Trust: Trust is foundational for customers to adopt a BI platform broadly. The Power BI team is committed to a fully open platform – at the data tier with Common Data Model support, at the semantic model tier with support for the industry standard XMLA protocol, and a completely open visualization stack. In addition we have invested in Data Protection which helps protect data even when it is exported out of Power BI, as well as a comprehensive set of certifications to ensure that Power BI is fully compliant with regulations around the world.
- Data Stack: Power BI is designed to work with data wherever it lives – in the cloud or on-premises through 150+ connectors that ship out of the box and new connectors that are added every month; however, when customers are building new BI, analytics, or data warehousing projects we are making it radically easy with Azure Synapse Analytics. With built-in capabilities for data ingestion, data preparation, machine learning, and visualization, Synapse accelerates time to value, reduces total cost of ownership, and provides incredible performance over large data volumes.
- Action: Customers value the ability to quickly move from insight-to-action-to-automation. Microsoft Power Platform makes this uniquely possible through Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power Virtual Agents. The products are designed to work together to make it easy for customers to adapt quickly to changing business requirements.
- Collaboration: Insights become more valuable as they are shared. By integrating Power BI deeply with Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Excel, PowerPoint, and more, we bring insights to where everyone works and collaborates.