Sample: Dump entity metadata to a file
This sample shows how to write out all the entity metadata to an
XML file. It uses the RetrieveAllEntitiesRequest message.
The following sample creates a new file at
\Entities\bin\Debug\EntityInfo.xml. You can open this file in Office Excel to see a tabular report. You may need this information to discover the entity type code for a custom entity for use in reports. You can download the sample from here.
How to run this sample
- Download or clone the Samples repo so that you have a local copy.
- (Optional) Edit the cds/App.config file to define a connection string specifying the Common Data Service instance you want to connect to.
- Open the sample solution in Visual Studio and press F5 to run the sample. After you specify a connection string in cds/App.config, any sample you run will use that connection information.
If you do not specify a connection string in cds/App.config file, a dialog will open each time you run the sample and you will need to enter information about which Common Data Service instance you want to connect to and which credentials you want to use. This dialog will cache previous connections so that you can choose a previously used connection.
Those samples in this repo that require a connection to a Common Data Service instance to run will include a linked reference to the cds/App.config file.
What this sample does
RetrieveAllEntitiesRequest message is intended to be used in a scenario that contains data that is needed to retrieve metadata information about all the entites.
How this sample works
In order to simulate the scenario described in What this sample does, the sample will do the following:
- Checks for the current version of the org.
RetrieveAllEntitiesRequestmethod retrieves the metadata.
StreamWritercreates an instance of StreamWriter to write text to a file.
- This sample creates no records. No cleanup is required.