Configuring Certificates for Web Components Servers
Topic Last Modified: 2009-02-27
In a Standard Edition server deployment or an Enterprise pool in a consolidated configuration, the Web Components Server is collocated with the Front End Server, so the Web Components Server uses the certificate configured for the Front End Server. For an Enterprise pool in an expanded configuration, you must configure the certificate for the Web Components Server separately.
This certificate is usually set up using the Certificate Wizard during Standard Edition Server or Enterprise pool deployment. If you want to change the certificate, you can do either of the following:
- You can use the Certificate Wizard to guide you through the process of requesting and assigning a certificate. (You can launch the Certificate Wizard from the Available tasks pane in Office Communications Server 2007 R2 and in Computer Management for Standard Edition servers. You can also access it from the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 installation media.)
- If you want to assign a different certificate on a server, view a certificate, or delete a certificate, you can open the server's properties and configure the certificate using the Certificate tab. Deleting a certificate causes it to no longer be assigned to the server for TLS or MTLS, but the certificate is not deleted from the computer. The procedure in this section describes the use of the Certificate tab.
Any modifications you make are only applied to future connections—existing connections continue to use the old certificate as long as the connection continues.
To configure a certificate for a Web Components Server
Open the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 snap-in.
In the console tree, expand the forest node, and then do one of the following:
- For an Enterprise pool, expand Enterprise pools, expand the pool, right-click the server, click Properties, and then click Web Components Properties.
- For a Standard Edition server, expand Standard Edition servers, right-click the server, click Properties, and then click Web Component Properties.
On the Certificate tab, do one of the following:
- To delete a certificate, click the certificate, and then click Delete Certificate.
- To assign a new certificate, click Select Certificate.
Restart the Office Communications Server Web Component service for the change to take effect for all connections.