Replication provides wizards to simplify implementing replication. The replication wizards can be accessed through the Replication folder in SQL Server Management Studio.
New Publication Wizard
Use the New Publication Wizard to specify the following:
- That the Publisher instance will also act as the Distributor (if you will use a remote Distributor, it must already be configured using the Configure Distribution Wizard).
- The default location of the snapshot files.
- The publication database.
- The type of publication to create (snapshot, transactional, transactional with updatable subscriptions, or merge).
- The data and database objects (articles) to include in the publication.
- Static row filters and column filters for all types of publications, and parameterized row filters and join filters for merge publications.
- The Snapshot Agent schedule.
- Accounts under which the following agents will run: the Snapshot Agent for all publications; the Log Reader Agent for all transactional publications; the Queue Reader Agent for transactional publications that allow updating subscriptions.
- A name and description for the publication.
For information about how to use the New Publication Wizard, see How to: Create a Publication and Define Articles (SQL Server Management Studio).
New Subscription Wizard
Use the New Subscription Wizard to specify the following:
- The publication to which you want to subscribe.
- Where the Distribution Agent or Merge Agent should run.
- Accounts under which the Distribution Agent or Merge Agent runs and makes connections.
- One or more Subscribers to receive published data and the subscription database that will receive the published data at each Subscriber.
- Whether the subscription should be initialized and, if so, when.
- Agent schedules for how frequently updates are propagated to the Subscriber.
- Additional information based on publication settings.
For information about how to use the New Subscription Wizard, see How to: Create a Pull Subscription (SQL Server Management Studio) and How to: Create a Push Subscription (SQL Server Management Studio).
Configure Distribution Wizard
Use the Configure Distribution Wizard to do the following:
- Configure a remote Distributor.
- Specify the default location of the snapshot files.
For information about how to use the Configure Distribution Wizard, see How to: Configure Publishing and Distribution (Replication Transact-SQL Programming).
You can also use this wizard to configure a local Distributor, but this is typically performed through the New Publication Wizard the first time you create a publication at a Publisher.
Disable Publishing and Distribution Wizard
Use the Disable Publishing and Distribution Wizard to disable publishing and distribution on a server. For information about using the Disable Publishing and Distribution Wizard, see How to: Disable Publishing and Distribution (SQL Server Management Studio).
Configure Peer-to-Peer Topology Wizard
Use the Configure Peer-to-Peer Topology Wizard to create a peer-to-peer transactional replication topology. Create a transactional publication at the first node in the New Publication Wizard, and then use the Configure Peer-to-Peer Topology Wizard to create publications and subscriptions at other nodes. For more information, see Peer-to-Peer Transactional Replication and How to: Configure Peer-to-Peer Transactional Replication (SQL Server Management Studio).
Web Synchronization Wizard
Use the Web Synchronization Wizard to configure a Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) server for Web synchronization, which allows you to synchronize subscriptions to merge publications over an Internet or intranet connection. For more information, see Web Synchronization for Merge Replication and How to: Configure IIS for Web Synchronization.