Prepare the Back-end Database Server (SQLBE01)
Prepare the Back-end Database Server (SQLBE01)
In these procedures you will prepare and configure the database server, SQLBE01, by performing the following tasks.
- Prepare the SQLBE01 Server
- Join the Fabrikam Domain
- Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 on SQLBE01
- Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1
- Move SQLBE01 into the Windows Sharepoint Services Servers\Backend OU
Prepare the SQLBE01 Server
Perform a default install of Windows Server 2003 R2. This requires you to first install Windows Server 2003 with SP1 then follow that by installing Windows Server 2003 R2.
Procedure DWSH.9: To install Windows Server 2003 R2 on SQLBE01
- Perform a default installation of Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (with Service Pack 1 integrated), by using the CD boot method. Install the Support Tools from the Windows Server 2003 CD. Use appropriate naming conventions for your environment.
- After Setup for Windows Server 2003 with SP1 is complete, log on to the computer as an administrator. Insert Disc 2 into your CD-ROM drive. Setup for Disc 2 should start automatically. If it does not start automatically, browse to Disk 2 (or the shared folder that contains the Setup files) and, in the \Cmpnents\R2 folder, click Setup2.exe. Follow the instructions on your screen to upgrade to R2.
Prepare the Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services database server by enabling Remote Desktop, installing Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, installing the Windows Server 2003 Support Tools, and installing the latest updates from Microsoft.
Procedure DWSH.10: To prepare SQLBE01
- Enable Remote Desktop. Click Start, point to Control Panel, click System, and then, on the Remote tab, select Enable Remote Desktop on this Computer.
- Install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.
- Install Support Tools from the Support Tools directory on the Windows Server 2003 CD.
- Apply any released updates to Windows Server 2003 by using Microsoft Update.
Join the Fabrikam Domain
After you have finished building and preparing the Windows SharePoint Services datatbase server you need to join it to the Fabrikam domain.
Procedure DWSH.11: To join the server to the Fabrikam domain and log on as Administrator@Fabrikam.com
Joining a new domain will require you to restart the server.
- Configure the local network interface to use the IP Addresses of AD01 and AD02 as Preferred and Alternative DNS server.
- Join the server to the fabrikam domain.
- Log on to the domain as Administrator@Fabrikam.com.
Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 on SQLBE01
Procedure DWSH.12: To install SQL Server 2005 on SQLBE01
On SQLBE01, insert the SQL Server 2005, Standard Edition CD.
If your server supports Autorun, the CD will launch the installer and display the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 splash screen. Click Install Server components, tools, Books Online, and samples. If your server does not support Autorun, browse to the Servers directory on the CD and run Setup.exe.
Read and accept the End User License Agreement, and then click Next to continue.
On the Installing Prerequisites page, review the list of software components that will be installed prior to installing SQL Server, and then click Install.
After the required prerequisites have been installed successfully, click Next.
On the Welcome to the Microsoft SQL Server Installation Wizard page, click Next.
On the System Configuration Check page, review the configuration details for warnings or errors.
You will see a Warning message for the IIS Feature Requirement. This is an expected warning, because IIS is not installed. It is safe to continue.
If there are any errors or warnings in the list (other than "IIS Feature Requirement"), read the message associated with the error, and then rectify the problem. When you no longer have any errors displayed in the list, click Next to continue the installation.
On the Registration Information page, enter information in the Name and Company text boxes, and enter your Product key if prompted to do so. Then click Next.
On the Components to Install page, select SQL Server Database Services. Click Advanced, expand Client Components, and then select the drop-down box for Management Tools to select them for installation.
For performance reasons, you should store the SQL Server program files on a different drive than the data. For example, for the program files specify drive C, and for the data files specify drive D. You should use high performance drives; the reference architecture recommends using a redundant array of independent disks (RAID).
To set the Data Files location, expand Database Services, click Data Files, click Browse, edit the drive letter and path as appropriate for your server, and then click OK. Then click Next.
On the Instance Name page, ensure that Default Instance is selected, and then click Next.
On the Service Account page, select Use the built-in System account account, and then verify that Local System is specified.
Under Start services at the end of setup, ensure that SQL Server is selected, and then click Next.
On the Authentication Mode page, select Windows Authentication, and then click Next.
For better security in your server farm, the solution recommends that you use Windows authentication, rather than SQL Server authentication, for connections between your front-end Web servers and the database servers. Windows authentication uses a domain user account to control access to SQL Server, rather than storing credentials in the registry and passing them across the network as in SQL Server authentication.
On the Collation Settings page, choose the SQL collations that meet your compatibility requirements. For this reference architecture, accept the default value of Dictionary order, case-insensitive, for use with 1252 Character Set, and then click Next.
On the Error and Usage Report Settings page select options that meet your needs, and then click Next.
Complete the SQL Server 2005 installation.
Install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1
In this procedure you install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1 using all the defaults.
Procedure DWSH.13: To install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1 on SQLBE01
On SQLBE01, insert the service pack media. On the Welcome page, confirm the features being upgraded, and then click Next to begin the upgrade process.
Read and accept the End User License Agreement, and then click Next.
On the Feature Selection page, click Next.
On the Authentication Mode page, ensure that All Instances and Windows Authentication are selected, and then click Next.
On the Remote User Account page, enter credentials for the Domain Administrator.
On the Ready to install page, click Install to continue.
- You may receive a message regarding pending file operations requiring a reboot. If you encounter this message, click Yes, and then proceed with the installation process.
- You may get one or more messages reading "Locked File Found." Since you will be reboot the servers running SQL Server at the end of the installation process, it is safe to click Continue.
If you are prompted to reboot your server, click OK.
On the Installation Complete page, ensure the installation was successful, and then click Finish to end the upgrade process.
Reboot the server to complete the SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 1 installation.
Move SQLBE01 into the Windows Sharepoint Services Servers\Backend OU
In this procedure, you will move the database server (SQLBE01) to the Windows Sharepoint Services Servers\Backend organizational unit (OU).
Procedure DWSH.14: To move SQLBE01 to the Backend OU
- On AD01, on the taskbar, click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Expand your domain (for example, fabrikam.com), and then expand Computers.
- Right-click SQLBE01, and then click Move.
- Expand Servers, expand Windows SharePoint Services Servers, select Backend, and then click OK.