Step 7: Install the Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web Tool
The Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool enables administrators to manage the process of remotely erasing lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised mobile devices.
By using the Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool, you can perform the following actions:
- View a list of all devices that are being used by any enterprise user.
- Select or cancel the selection of devices to be remotely erased.
- View the status of pending remote erase requests for each device.
- View a transaction log that indicates which administrators have issued remote erase commands, in addition to the devices that those commands pertained to.
Download the Mobile Administration Web Tool
The Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool is available for download from the following Tools for Exchange Server 2003 Web site: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54738.
Software requirements for the Mobile Administration Web tool
The following bulleted list presents the software requirements for the Mobile Administration Web tool:
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool
Installing the Mobile Administration Web tool
Follow the instructions included with the download to install the Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool on a front-end server that runs Exchange Server 2003 SP2. The installation program creates the MobileAdmin virtual directory, through which the tool can be accessed.
When installed correctly, the Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool is available from any remote computer that has an Internet browser that can access the virtual directory that is associated with the tool.
However, to access the Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool from the same computer upon which it is installed, you must use one of the following approaches:
- Add the server name to the Local intranet list for Internet Explorer: In Internet Explorer, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Security, click Local intranet, and then click Sites.
- Use localhost as the server name when specifying the mobileAdmin URL in the browser (for example, https://localhost/mobileAdmin).
Adding Administrators or Help Desk
By default, access to the Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool is restricted to Exchange administrators and to local administrators. You may want to give your Help Desk or support personnel access to the Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool, so that they can monitor mobile devices and be ready to enforce a remote wipe if a device is reported missing or compromised.
You can enable additional users to access the Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web tool by modifying the security settings on the MobileAdmin folder in the installation directory with the following process.
To add administrators to the Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration Web Tool
Right-click the MobileAdmin folder, and then select sharing & security. The Insert Folder Security properties dialog box appears.
In the Insert Folder Securityproperties dialog box, add a user or a group by clicking Add, and then entering the name of the user or the group to which you want to grant access.
Remove a user or a group by selecting that user or that group, and then clicking Remove.