Event ID 8193 — Windows to UNIX Password Synchronization Service Availability
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Windows to UNIX Password Synchronization Service Availability indicates the operational state of the Windows to UNIX password synchronization service and its availability to synchronize user account passwords to the UNIX environment that are changed in the Windows environment.
When Password Synchronization is configured for Windows-to-UNIX synchronization, and a password is changed on a Windows-based computer running Password Synchronization, the Password Synchronization service determines whether the user's password is to be synchronized on UNIX computers. When the Password Synchronization service is operating normally, it encrypts the password and sends it to the Password Synchronization daemon on each computer with which the Windows-based computer is configured to be synchronized. The daemon then decrypts the password and changes the password on the UNIX host.
Generally, the service is available if it has read and modify permissions in the Windows Registry, and if the computer on which Password Synchronization is installed remains an Active Directory® Domain Services domain controller.
|Product:||Windows Identity Management for UNIX|
|Message:||Failure reading Password Synchronization configuration. %rApply configuration changes again and if the problem persists, verify that Password Synchronization has been configured in accordance with guidance in the Password Synchronization Help.|
Fix registry error
Password Synchronization encountered an error reading or writing to a specific Windows registry key. Open Event Viewer and read the associated error message, which describes the root cause of this error.
Confirm that the computer running Password Synchronization has access permissions to the Windows registry by doing the following:
- Open the Registry Editor.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open text box, and then click OK.
- In the hierarchy pane, navigate to the registry key identified by the error message.
- If the error message does not show the path to the registry key on which the problem occurred, navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Identity Management.
- With the key highlighted, click Permissions on the Edit menu to open the Permissions for *Registry Key* dialog box.
- Verify that the user SYSTEM has Full Control permissions.
- Click Add to add the SYSTEM user if it is not already listed in the Group or user names list on the Security tab. If needed, assign Full Control permissions to SYSTEM in the Permissions for *User* list.
- Click OK. Close the Registry Editor.
The Windows to UNIX password synchronization service is functioning normally in the absence of any of the following messages in Event Viewer. If any of the following messages are logged in Event Viewer, the service cannot function normally.
- IDMU Password Synchronization event 16388
- IDMU Password Synchronization event 8194
- IDMU Password Synchronization event 8193