Event ID 20180 — RRAS Routing Interfaces
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
The server running Routing and Remote Access uses a routing interface to forward unicast IP and multicast IP packets. There are two types of routing interfaces: LAN interfaces and demand-dial interfaces. A LAN interface is a physical interface that typically represents a local area connection that uses local area networking technology such as Ethernet or token ring. A demand-dial interface is a logical interface that represents a point-to-point connection. The point-to-point connection is based on either a physical connection, such as two routers connected over an analog phone line that uses modems, or a logical connection, such as two routers connected over a virtual private network (VPN) connection that uses the Internet.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||Interface: %1 is unreachable because the connection attempt failed.|
Configure ports for remote access
To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To configure ports for remote access:
- Open Routing and Remote Access. Click Start, click Run, type rrasmgmt.msc, and then press ENTER.
- In the console tree, right-click Ports.
- Click Properties.
- In the Ports Properties dialog box, click a device, and then click Configure.
- In the Configure Device dialog box, do one or both of the following:
- To enable remote access, select the Remote access connections (inbound only) check box.
- To enable demand-dial routing, select the Demand-dial routing connections (inbound and outbound) check box.
To verify that the remote access server can accept connections, establish a remote access connection from a client computer.
To create a VPN connection:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Set up a connection or network.
- Click Connect to a workplace, and then click Next.
- Complete the steps in the Connect to a Workplace wizard.
To connect to a remote access server:
- In Network and Sharing Center, click Manage network connections.
- Double-click the VPN connection, and then click Connect.
- Verify that the connection was established successfully.