Event ID 1006 — IIS Web Management Service Availability
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
The Internet Information Services (IIS) Web Management Service (WMSvc) is necessary for remote and delegated management of Web servers. If this service is not available on a Web server, you will not be able to administer that server remotely.
|Product:||Internet Information Services|
|Message:||The Hostable Web Core (HWC) failed to activate; Web Management Service startup failed. Please reference the Win32 error in this event for further information.|
Check the Win32 error
If the Hosted Web Core (HWC) did not activate and the Web Management service does not start, check the Win32 error number in the Application event log. The entry is the return code from the HWC activation call. The return code should help you track down the root cause in the Hosted Web Core. The return code or error number will be different from the Event ID. To find a return code or specific error number, follow these steps.
To perform these procedures, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
Check for a specific error number
To check for a specific error number:
- In the Event Viewer, select the event that you received.
- If a specific error number appears on the General tab, note it.
- Click the Details tab, then Friendly View.
- If a specific error number is available, the words Binary data: should appear.
- Below In Words, note the number after the colon.
Find out more about a specific error number
To learn more about a specific error number:
- Download the Err.exe utility from the Microsoft Exchange Server Error Code Look-up page.
- Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then Command Prompt.
- At the command prompt, navigate to the directory where you downloaded Err.exe. For example, if you downloaded Err.exe to C:\Err, type cd C:\Err.
- Type err errornumber to obtain more information about the error.
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To verify that the Web Management service is running:
- Type sc query wmsvc, and press ENTER. The Web Management service is running if the state reported for the service is 4 RUNNING.