Event ID 1300 — IIS Web Management Service Authentication
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Clients can connect remotely to the Web Management Service on a Web server in order to administer that server. If connectivity issues occur, the client may not be able to administer the Web server.
|Product:||Internet Information Services|
|Message:||An unexpected error happened while processing a service request.|
Check a custom WMSvc client
If you are using a custom client to connect to the Web Management Service, you may receive a 401 response. This behavior may occur if the client does not authenticate before it tries to call Web service methods through the management service.
Possible resolutions include the following:
- Contact the vendor of the client about the error. The vendor should have more specific knowledge about the features and behavior of the client program.
- Check the event log message for a specific error number that may provide additional clues about the failure. This error number will be different from the Event ID. To do this, see the steps below.
To perform these procedures, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
Check for a specific error number
To check for a specific error number:
- In the Event Viewer, select the event that you received.
- Click the Details tab, then Friendly View.
- If a specific error number is available, the words Binary data: should appear.
- Below In Words, note the number after the colon.
Find out more about a specific error number
To learn more about a specific error number:
- Download the Err.exe utility from the Microsoft Exchange Server Error Code Look-up page.
- Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then Command Prompt.
- At the command prompt, navigate to the directory where you downloaded Err.exe. For example, if you downloaded Err.exe to C:\Err, type cd C:\Err.
- Type err errornumber to obtain more information about the error.
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To verify that the connection between the Web Management Service and your client can authenticate correctly:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Administrative Tools.
- Right-click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and select Run as administrator.
- Under Connection tasks, Click Connect to a server… The Connect to Server dialog box appears.
- Under Server name, select the server name to which you want to connect.
- Click Next. If the connection was successful, the message "Created a new connection successfully" will appear on the next dialog box page.