Event ID 38 — WU Service Availability
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Windows Update enables the detection, download, and installation of updates for Windows and other programs. If this service is disabled, users of this computer will not be able to use Windows Update or its automatic updating feature, and programs will not be able to use the Windows Update Agent API.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||Windows Update received a service stop request.|
Restart Windows Update Agent
To restart Windows Update Agent:
- At the elevated command prompt, type the following commands:
- netstart wuauserv
To confirm that Windows Update Agent is running:
- Open an elevated Command Prompt window. Click Start, point to All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
- Type wuauclt/detectnow, and then press ENTER.
- At the command prompt, type eventvwr.msc and press ENTER to open Event Viewer.
- To check for events in Event Viewer:
- In the left panel of Event Viewer, click Application and Service Logs.
- Expand Microsoft, and then expand Windows.
- Click WindowsUpdateClient, and then click Operational.
- Check to see if Event IDs 28, 38, and 39 are not present in the event list to confirm that Windows Update Agent is running.