Event ID 111 — AD CS Certification Authority Upgrade
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Upgrading a certification authority (CA) that was installed on an earlier version of Windows to a computer running Windows Server 2008 can affect configuration options or components that need to be reconfigured after the upgrade. In some cases, you may also have to fix configuration problems before the upgrade can be completed.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||Active Directory Certificate Services upgrade failed because the upgrade path could not be determined. %1|
Follow upgrade path requirements for Active Directory Certificate Services
Certification authorities (CAs) must be upgraded from the correct version of Windows Server. To resolve CA upgrade path requirements:
- Confirm that the CA you are attempting to upgrade is installed on a computer running Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008.
- If the CA is installed on a computer running Windows 2000 Server, first upgrade the computer and CA to Windows Server 2003. When that upgrade process has been completed, you can can upgrade your computer and CA to Windows Server 2008.
To perform this procedure, you must have permissions to request and enroll for a certificate.
To confirm that the upgrade has completed successfully, perform a test enrollment for a user or computer certificate:
- Log on to a domain computer running Windows Vista as a domain user with Enroll permissions on at least one template.
- Click Start, type mmc, and then press ENTER.
- If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
- On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in, click Certificates, and then click Add.
- Click User account, and click Next.
- Click Finish, and then click OK.
- In the console tree, double-click Certificates - Current User, and click Personal.
- On the Action menu, point to All Tasks, and click Request New Certificate to start the Certificate Enrollment wizard.
- Use the wizard to create and submit the certificate request.
- Under Certificate Installation Results, confirm that the enrollment completes successfully and no errors are reported. You can also click Details to view additional information about the certificate.