Event ID 20253 — RAS Connection
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
A server running Routing and Remote Access provides two different types of remote access connectivity: virtual private networking (VPN) and dial-up networking. VPN is the creation of secured, point-to-point connections across a private network or a public network, such as the Internet. A VPN client uses special TCP/IP-based protocols called tunneling protocols to make a virtual call to a virtual port on a VPN server. In dial-up networking, a remote access client makes a nonpermanent, dial-up connection to a physical port on a remote access server by using the service of a telecommunications provider, such as analog phone or ISDN. In contrast to dial-up networking, VPN is always a logical, indirect connection between the VPN client and the VPN server over a public network, such as the Internet.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The user: %1 connected to port: %2 has been disconnected because no network protocols were successfully negotiated.|
Configure network protocol settings
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To configure network protocol properties of the remote access server:
- Open Routing and Remote Access. Click Start, click Run, type rrasmgmt.msc, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click the server name for which you want to view properties, and then click Properties.
- Check the settings on the IPv4 and IPv6 tabs.
To verify that the remote access server can accept connections, establish a remote access connection from a client computer.
To create a VPN connection:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Set up a connection or network.
- Click Connect to a workplace, and then click Next.
- Complete the steps in the Connect to a Workplace wizard.
To connect to a remote access server:
- In Network and Sharing Center, click Manage network connections.
- Double-click the VPN connection, and then click Connect.
- Verify that the connection was established successfully.