Event ID 12 — NPS Processing Status
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
Network Policy Server (NPS) processes connection requests that are received from RADIUS clients.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||An internal error occurred while processing a request. The data is the error code.|
Respond to the NPS unknown error condition
This error is typically returned when an exception that is not identified by some other error occurs. This error can also be returned by Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) or Schannel.
To perform this procedure, you must be a member of Domain Admins.
To respond to the NPS unknown error condition:
- Wait for NPS to resolve the problem. It might be a transient error condition.
- If NPS does not resolve the problem automatically, restart the Network Policy Server service. To restart the service, click Start, Administrative Tools, Network Policy Server. The Network Policy Server Microsoft Management Console (MMC) opens. In the NPS console, right-click NPS (Local), and then click Stop NPS Service. Next, right-click NPS (Local), and then click Start NPS Service.
- If restarting the Network Policy Server service does not resolve the problem, restart the server.
To verify that the unknown error condition is fixed:
- In Event Viewer, click Windows Logs, and then double-click System. Review the system logs.
- Click Security, and then review the security logs.
- Confirm that there are no Schannel or other errors causing NPS unknown error conditions.