Install the Microsoft Quantum Development Kit (QDK)
Learn how to install the Microsoft Quantum Development Kit (QDK), so that you can get started with quantum programming. The QDK consists of:
- the Q# programming language
- a set of libraries that abstract complex functionality in Q#
- APIs for Python and .NET languages (C#, F#, and VB.NET) for running quantum programs written in Q#
- tools to facilitate your development
Q# programs are often paired with a host program written in a .NET language (typically C#) or Python. This allows us to call quantum operations from inside a classical program. In addition, the QDK provides Q# support for Jupyter Notebooks with the IQ# Jupyter kernel.
The QDK is available for multiple development environments. Select your preferred setup from the sections below:
- Install Q# for C#: choose this environment if you want to combine C# and Q# to create a C# host program that calls Q# operations.
- Install Q# for Python: choose this environment if you want to combine Python and Q# to create a Python host program that calls Q# operations.
- Install Q# for Jupyter Notebooks: choose this environment to execute Q# code in cells with embedded text or create quantum computing interactive tutorials. Do not choose this environment if you want to combine Q# with an external classical host program.