Manage Express installation files for Windows 10 updates
Beginning in Configuration Manager version 1702, Configuration Manager supports express installation files for Windows 10 updates. When you use a supported version of Windows 10, you can use Configuration Manager client settings to configure the client to download only the changes between the current month's Windows 10 Cumulative Update and the previous month's update. Without express installation files, Configuration Manager clients download the full Windows 10 Cumulative Update (including all updates from previous months) each month. Using express installation files provides for smaller downloads and faster installation times on clients.
While the settings to support the use of express installation files is available in Configuration Manager version 1702, the operating system client support is available in Windows 10 version 1607 with a Windows Update Agent update. This update is included with the updates released on April 11, 2017 (Patch Tuesday). For more information about these updates, see support article 4015217. Future updates will leverage express for smaller downloads. Windows 10 version 1607 without the update and prior versions do not support express installation files.
To enable the download of express installation files for Windows 10 updates
To start synchronizing the metadata for Windows 10 express installation files, you must enable it in the Software Update Point Properties.
- In the Configuration Manager console, navigate to Administration > Site Configuration > Sites.
- Select the central administration site or the stand-alone primary site.
- On the Home tab, in the Settings group, click Configure Site Components, and then click Software Update Point. On the Update Files tab, select Download both full files for all approved updates and express installation files for Windows 10.
You cannot configure the Software Update Point component to only download express updates. Downloading the express installation files will be in addition to the full files and thus will increase the amount of content distributed to and stored on your distribution points.
To enable support for clients to download and install express installation files
To enable express installation files support on clients, you must enable express installation files in the Software Updates section of client settings. This creates a new HTTP listener that listens for requests to download express installation files on the port that you specify.
This is a local port that clients will use to listen for requests from Delivery Optimization (DO) or Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to download express content from the distribution point. You do not need to open this port on firewalls because all traffic is on the local computer.
Once you deploy client settings to enable this functionality on the client, it will attempt to download the delta between the current month's Windows 10 Cumulative Update and the previous month's update (clients must run a version of Windows 10 that supports express installation files).
- Enable support for express installation files in the Software Update Point Component properties (previous procedure).
- In the Configuration Manager console, navigate to Administration > Client Settings.
- Select the appropriate client settings, then on the Home tab, click Properties.
- Select the Software Updates page, configure Yes for the Enable installation of Express Updates on clients setting and configure the port used by the HTTP listener on the client for the Port used to download content for Express Updates setting.