Previous versions of SQL Server documentation
The documentation for several older versions of Microsoft SQL Server has been archived. Yet the archived documentation remains available at:
Use the Versioning drop-down list control to select the version of SQL Server you want to see documentation for. The control is available near the top of this webpage.
In the dropdown list, the value labeled SQL Server previous versions allows this article to be displayed. This version value also hides most other articles. Almost every other version value hides this article.
The documentation for a newer version of SQL Server is available here.
The online documentation has been archived for several older versions of SQL Server. You can still view the archived documentation by using your browser.
As of June 2019, the archives range from version 2012 back to 2005. The reliable updated list is maintained at:
SQL Server 2014
The documentation for SQL Server 2014 is online, and is indexed by Bing.com and Google.com search engines.
Offline books and the Help Viewer
SQL Server 2014 and earlier
Offline documentation books are available for SQL Server 2014 and earlier versions. You can use the following steps to download and view the offline documentation for SQL Server versions 2014-2005:
- Start the version of SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) that corresponds to the version of SQL Server you are interested in.
- In SQL Server 2014 and earlier versions, SSMS was installed as part of the whole SQL Server install.
- For example, if you want to download the offline books for SQL Server 2012, you must start the SSMS that is installed with SQL Server 2012.
- Use the SSMS Help menu to start the corresponding version of the Help Viewer tool.
- Use the Help Viewer to download and view the offline books. Scroll to see the SQL Server download line item.
SQL Server 2016 and later
Starting with SQL Server 2016, the SQL Server offline books have their version year as part of their title. This name enhancement enables any later version of the Help Viewer to download and view the SQL Server offline books for version 2016 or 2017 and so on. You can use the following steps to download and view the offline documentation for SQL Server versions 2016 and later:
- Download the latest SSMS.
- Start SSMS on your local computer.
- Use the SSMS Help menu to start the updated version of the Help Viewer tool.
- Use the Help Viewer to download and view the offline books. Scroll to see the various versions of SQL Server books that are available for download, starting with SQL Server 2016.
For additional details about the Help Viewer tool, see SQL Server offline help and Help Viewer.
Review the Microsoft Product Lifecycle for information about how a specific product, service, or technology is supported: