Recommended antivirus exclusions for Configuration Manager site servers, site systems, and clients
This article contains recommendations that may help an administrator determine the cause of potential instability on a computer that's running a supported version of Configuration Manager site servers, site systems, and clients when it's used together with antivirus software.
Original product version: Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager, Configuration Manager (current branch)
Original KB number: 327453
We recommend you temporarily apply these procedures to evaluate a system. If your system performance or stability is improved by the recommendations that are made in this article, contact your vendor for instructions or an updated version of the antivirus software.
This article contains information that shows how to help lower security settings or how to temporarily turn off security features on a computer. You can make these changes to understand the nature of a specific problem. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this workaround in your particular environment.
Antivirus real-time protection can cause many problems on Configuration Manager site servers, site systems, and clients.
Possible symptoms include:
Remote site system components aren't installed. SiteComp.log, Distmgr.log, hman.log, or other Configuration Manager log files may contain errors such as error 80070005.
The Configuration Manager client cannot be installed through client push.
Client inventory information is inaccurate, missing, or out-of-date.
Backlogs occur in the Install_Directory\Inboxes folders on site servers.
Backlogs occur in the Install_Directory\MP\Outboxes subfolders on management points (MP).
Software Center isn't populated by deployed software on client systems, or doesn't start. Also, the CCMRepair.log file may contain an error similar to the following example:
Database verification failed with result: 0x80004005 but DB: C:\Windows\CCM\filename.sdf could be opened, skipping DB repair.
Software that is deployed to clients cannot be installed.
Compliance data for software deployments is inaccurate.
We recommend that you add the following real-time protection exclusions to prevent these problems.
Default installation folders
|Configuration Manager installation folder||%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Configuration Manager|
|MP installation folder||%ProgramFiles%\SMS_CCM|
|Client installation folder||%Windir%\CCM|
Folder exclusions for site servers
- ConfigMgr installation folder\Inboxes
- ConfigMgr installation folder\Logs
- ConfigMgr installation folder\EasySetupPayload
Folder exclusions for site systems
- Management points
- MP installation folder\ServiceData
- Either of the following folders:
- ConfigMgr installation folder\MP\OUTBOXES
- Installation drive\SMS\MP\OUTBOXES
- Distribution points
- Client installation folder\ServiceData
- Site database servers
Folder exclusions for clients
- Client installation folder\*.sdf
- Client installation folder\ServiceData
- Client installation folder\Logs
File exclusions for MPs
- POL00000.pol in MP installation folder\PolReqStaging
Don't scan outgoing files on MPs
Most antivirus software has an option to scan files that are copied to a remote location (outgoing files). This option should be disabled on management points.
For Windows Defender, the policy name is Configure monitoring for incoming and outgoing file and program activity. And it should be set to Scan only incoming files.
For more information, see Enable and configure Windows Defender Antivirus always-on protection in Group Policy.
Process exclusions are necessary only if aggressive antivirus programs consider Configuration Manager executables (.exe) to be high-risk processes.
- ConfigMgr installation folder\bin\x64\Smsexec.exe
- Either of the following executables:
- Client installation folder\Ccmexec.exe
- MP installation folder\Ccmexec.exe
- Client installation folder\RemCtrl\CmRcService.exe (client-side)
- ConfigMgr installation folder\bin\x64\Sitecomp.exe
- ConfigMgr installation folder\bin\x64\Smswriter.exe
- ConfigMgr installation folder\bin\x64\Smssqlbkup.exe, or SMS_SQLFQDN\bin\x64\ Smssqlbkup.exe
- ConfigMgr installation folder\bin\x64\Cmupdate.exe
- Client installation folder\Ccmrepair.exe (client-side)
- %windir%\CCMSetup\Ccmsetup.exe (client-side)
- Configuration Manager Current Branch Antivirus Exclusions
- Updated System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Antivirus Exclusions with more details on OSD and Boot Images
- How to choose antivirus software to run on computers that are running SQL Server
- Virus scanning recommendations for Enterprise computers that are running currently supported versions of Windows