How to limit the number of connections on a terminal server that runs Windows Server 2003
This article describes how to make sure that only one user at a time can connect to a Windows Server 2003 terminal server in Remote Administration Mode remotely or at the console.
Original product version: Windows Server 2003
Original KB number: 830581
This article describes how to make sure that only one user at a time can connect to a Windows Server 2003 terminal server in Remote Administration Mode remotely or at the console. By default, with a Windows Server 2003 terminal server in Remote Administration mode, you can have two remote sessions and one console session, for a total of three active sessions.
How to limit the number of remote sessions on a terminal server
- To open the Terminal Services Configuration Tool, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Terminal Services Configuration.
- In the console tree, click Connections.
- In the right-side pane, right-click RDP-Tcp, and then click Properties.
- On the Network Adapter tab, click to select 1 from the Maximum connections list.
- On the Permissions tab, click Add, type Everyone in the Enter the object names to select (examples) box, click Check Names, and then click OK.
- In the Group or user names area, click to select the Everyone group.
- In the Permissions for Everyone area, click to select the Deny check box to deny permission for Guest Access, and then click OK.
- This setting allows only one remote connection, known as session 0. This connection can be made only through the console.
- When you connect to the console session of a terminal server on a Windows XP-based computer or on a Windows Server 2003-based computer, use the following commands as appropriate:
- To make a Remote Desktop connection to the server, use the mstsc.exe /console command.
- If you use the Remote Desktop Connection 6.1 client or a later version of the client, use the mstsc.exe /admin command.
For more information about the Remote Desktop Connection 6.1 client, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
952155 Description of the Remote Desktop Connection 6.1 client update for Terminal Services in Windows XP Service Pack 2
For more information about the Terminal Server feature in Windows Server 2003, visit the following Microsoft Web sites: https://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/termserv.mspx