Visual Studio 2019 v16.11 Preview Release Notes
This release is not "go-live" and not intended for use on production computers or for creating production code. For instructions on installing and updating Visual Studio 2019, see this documentation on updating Visual Studio 2019 to the most recent release.
What's New in Visual Studio 2019 v16.11 Preview
Visual Studio 2019 v16.11 Preview Releases
- July 13, 2021 — Visual Studio 2019 version 16.11 Preview 3
- June 15, 2021 — Visual Studio 2019 version 16.11 Preview 2
- May 25, 2021 — Visual Studio 2019 version 16.11 Preview 1
Visual Studio 2019 Blog
The Visual Studio 2019 Blog is the official source of product insight from the Visual Studio Engineering Team. You can find in-depth information about the Visual Studio 2019 releases in the following posts:
- Visual Studio 2019 16.11 Preview 2 Blog
- Visual Studio 2019 v16.10 and v16.11 Preview 1 are Available Today!
- Visual Studio 2019 v16.10 Preview 2 Releases Today
- Available Today! Visual Studio 2019 v16.9 and v16.10 Preview 1
- Visual Studio 2019 v16.9 Preview 3 is Available Today!
- Visual Studio 2019 v16.9 Preview 2 and New Year Wishes Coming to You!
- Visual Studio 2019 v16.8 and v16.9 Preview 1 Release Today!
- Visual Studio 2019 Releases Preview Features in v16.8 Preview 3.1!
- Visual Studio 2019 v16.8 Preview 2 Releases New Features Today!
- Visual Studio 2019 v16.7 and v16.8 Preview 1 Release Today!
- Exciting new updates to the Git experience in Visual Studio
- Visual Studio 2019 v16.6 Preview 2 Available Today!
- Releasing Today! Visual Studio 2019 v16.6 & v16.7 Preview 1
- See What's New in Visual Studio 2019 version 16.6 Preview 3!
- Visual Studio 2019 version 16.6 Preview 2 Brings New Features Your Way
- Visual Studio 2019 version 16.5 is released!
- 'Tis the Season for Visual Studio 2019 v16.4 Release
- Visual Studio 2019 v16.4 Preview 2, Fall Sports, and Pumpkin Spice
- .NET Core Support and More in Visual Studio 2019 version 16.3 - Update Now!
- Visual Studio 2019 version 16.3 Preview 2 and Visual Studio 2019 for Mac version 8.3 Preview 2 Released!
- Visual Studio 2019 version 16.2 and 16.3 Preview 1 now available
- Visual Studio 2019 version 16.2 Preview 2
- Visual Studio 2019 version 16.1 and Preview 16.2 Preview
- Visual Studio 2019: Code faster. Work smarter. Create the future.
released July 13, 2021
Summary of What's New in this Release of Visual Studio 2019 version 16.11 Preview 3
Updated Help Menu* During 16.11 we have remodeled the Help Menu. The updated menu highlights Get Started material and helpful Tips/Tricks. It also provides more collaboration with our development team by adding things such as access to Developer Community, Release Notes, the Visual Studio product Roadmap, and our Social Media pages. We want developers to make the most out of their subscriptions so check out your subscription benefits and other details via the new My Subscription menu item!
Issues Addressed in 16.11 Preview 3
- Updated Clang/LLVM to version 12.
- "Modules for Standard Library (experimental)" was missing, but has been restored.
- Fixed an EDG assertion failure on nested co_yield.
- Fixed an issue causing Microsoft Azure Tools for Visual Studio to trigger other .dlls to load in the About Box.
- Fixed an accessibility issue causing High Contrast Account Settings to not show.
- Fixed a formatting issue when using @
- Fixed an accessibility issue with screen readers failing to announce collapsed code headers.
- Fixed the Luminosity contrast ratio for Country boundary Foreground/background color to be greater or equals to 3:1 so that visually impaired users can identify these controls.
- Fixed an accessibility issue where Visible name and accessible name are not similar for "Server" edit field, "Site name" edit field and "Target Runtime" combo box.
- Fixed a bug causing the screen reader to announce the Connecting status message information under Add SQL Server blade.
- Filter was missing from the completion list in VB projects.
- Fixed an issue causing Visual Studio to occasionally stop responding when loading Microsoft.Maui-net6.sln.
- Fixed an error when building IOS project or XF project that showed the warning "Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets".
- Fixed branch picker menu grouping.
- Fixed an issue causing the repository below the selected repository to open instead of the desired repository.
- Fixed a bug causing warnings for template functions to follow an incorrect ruleset.
- Fixed a bug causing the Microsoft account dropdown to get truncated when resizing from 125% to 150% or 175% to 200%.
- Fixed an accessibility bug where the narrator does not announce the label name.
- Made it easier for users to access the "convert color to resource" button.
- Made it easier for low vision users to view the focus on the "Select previous gradient stop" and "Select Next gradient stop" buttons.
- Corrected issues with screen reader users not getting the proper information about buttons.
- GitHub specific error messages were not always showing when pushing commits.
- Fixed an issue causing warnings when trying to connect to SharePoint to provision workflow debugging prerequisites.
- Fixed an issue causing network operations to not work with the Fork and the remote Fork branches in the Git repo window.
- Fixed a Database Project issue where dragging a file from solution explorer into an opened one is deleting the file from the file system
- Fixed an issue causing an exception in .cshtml and .razor files.
- Fixed a slow display of files and icons in the Visual Studio IDE and Solution Explorer.
- Fixed an error with Git messaging that reported 'It is not allowed to run multiple bulk file operations at a time.'
- Improved ease of accessibility when accessing the controls for any path of the selected Profile.
- Corrected an 'Error List' warning when publishing a Cloud Service project with a 'Single Page Application' template.
- Fixes an issue where attempting to close the quick start window can cause Visual Studio to crash
- Fixed an inability to publish database projects with null values and an 'str' parameter name.
- Added support for SSDT MERGE statements.
- Fixed an issue with F# Interactive where NuGet package references were no longer working.
- Added ability to use Previous layout folders searching packages during layout operations.
- Added additional accessibility improvements for keyboard only users in debugging and menu selection.
- Fixed a localization error with Test Explorer.
- Fixed an error causing builds to fail in C# VSIX projects.
- Fixed an error where publishing failed in an ASP.NET Core App running on Docker (Windows/Linux) to Docker Container with error:"Current context "desktop-linux" is not found on the file system".
- Converted to using the new DartLab instance which gives us the latest fixes and simplifies the YAML.
- Fixed an issue when clicking "Go To Declaration" that resulted in the cursor jumping to an incorrect position.
- Fixed EnC regression.
- Fixed an error causing Visual Studio to stop responding when creating a Service Fabric application.
- Fixed an error where the Container Orchestrator Support context item disappears after adding docker support for an Azure Function project with .NET 5(Isolated) type selected.
- Fixed a situation where F5/Ctrl+F5 produced an error message, "Docker command failed with exit code1."
- Added Service Fabric and Add Orchestra Support dialog.
- Fixed a failure to restore NuGet deleted packages.
- Fixed an error causing mstest projects to remove LUT windows after renaming.
From Developer Community
- Code analysis/PREfast performance regression from 16.6.4 to 16.9.4
- Codeanalysis warning C6285 in STL functional.h in VS 16.10 preview 4. Worked in 16.10 preview 2
- EnforceProcessCountAcrossBuilds emits code analysis warnings on system headers
- Compile errors for external headers
- Incorrect lock warnings by analyzer C26110
- CMakePresets based generation on Linux Remote fails with "Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
- Unable to copy text from git repository view
- Broken intellisense with template specialization
- ICE: ARM64 optimizing for /std:c++latest
- Error adding Apple Developer Account: A Parameter 'certificateType' has an invalid value: 'Unknown value:MAC_INSTALLER_DISTRIBUTION'
- Functional(813) has warning C6285
- ICE on C++20 modules + boost::asio
- 16.9.2 Freezing when working on SQL Server project
- Build Warning MSB4011 Since Last Xamarin and XCode Updates
- How enable the multthread to compile source in Visual studio 2019 16.9 with clangcl
released June 15, 2021
Summary of What's New in this Release of Visual Studio 2019 version 16.11 Preview 2
- Access additional actions from the overflow menu in the branch picker in Git Changes window and status bar.
- Hover over a branch name to see last commit details in a tooltip.
- Access additional actions in the repository picker overflow menu from the status bar.
- Hover over a repository name to see repository details such as local path and remote URL.
- LLVM tools shipped with Visual Studio have been upgraded to LLVM 12. See the LLVM release notes for details.
- Clang-cl support was updated to LLVM 12.
Issues Addressed in 16.11 Preview 2
- Fixed formating when providing no container name in a code search.
- Fixed missing warning messages in CppCoreCheck.
- Fixed a bug when adding a class in ASP.NET causing a yellow bar with the error message: 'CSharpSyncNamespaceCodeRefactoringProvider'.
- Improved performance around using PointerSafetyXtension in CppCoreCheck.
- Improved localization around VC++ features.
- Fixed a build error when the solutionPath variable evaluates to undefined.
- Fixed a rare scenario that could keep Visual Studio instances from closing if the Test Explorer is open in the solution.
- Fixed a visibility issue with high contrast black in virtual machines shifting focus.
- Fixed an issue where an error "No such image" occurs when removing multi-selected images that have been tagged.
- Improved teh XAML typing experience on the LiveShare client.
- Fixed an issue when using the Navigate To with a speech recognition command causing the user to wait for the ToolTip to clear before seeing the result.
- Fixed an issue causing previously opened documents to not restore when a solution is reopened.
- Fixed a UWP crash when using the new Sample Data feature.
- Fixed a bug where there were no project properties provider for "Persistence = AssemblyReference".
- Decreased processor consumption of setup.exe.
- Fixed an issue preventing HRESULT resources from being customized for XBOX.
- Fixed an unhandled exception after clicking "Debug Tests".
- Fixed a build error message "NETSDK1 031" when using a Windows Application Packaging Project.
- Fixed a crash after ending some LiveShare Sessions.
- Fixed a bug causing a failure of the "X" button on a page of the First Launch Wizard.
- Fixed an "Operation not supported" error message in LiveShare.
- Fixes a bug in Cloud Service (extended support) publish with different settings value in different service configurations.
From Developer Community
- Incorrect formatting of switch statement with static_casts
- Visual Studio 2019 16.5.4 internal compiler error when using SSE
- Noexcept default constructor
- MSVC Compiler bug on _InterlockedCompareExchange64
- NativeReference cannot recognize MSBuild property value
- Incorrect Diagnostic: 26444 NO_UNNAMED_RAII_OBJECTS
- Incorrect C6240 LOGICALANDNONZERO
- Diagnostic Tools window loads up in miniature and will not resize properly
- Coroutine uses promise_type::unhandled_exception with exceptions disabled
- Bad(noexcept) exception handling information on AMD64
- ToolTip Blocking Search Results
- False postivie error C2176 in C++20 mode
- Operator new provides the wrong arguments to _aligned_malloc when packing is spectified
- Rejects valid parsing of lambda expression
- An error 'Unable to attach. Process 'SPUCWORKERPROCESS.exe' is not running' shows when deploying SharePoint2019 sandbox project
- Unexpected warning C4834 after updating to 16.10 Preview 2
- Syntactically invalid with a template code is silently ignored with /std:c++latest.
- BUG: Backspacing in branch filter removed characters from code
- StreamJsonRpcRemoteInvocationException: Error enumerating over Github credential store
- Cannot use arrow keys, cut, copy, or paste in Git branch "type here to filter the list" input box
- Error adding Apple Developer Account: A parameter 'certificateType' has an invald value: 'Unknown value: MAC_INSTALLER_DISTRIBUTION'
- Git Integration: Pressing backspace in Visual Studio 2019 branch filter is applied in editor window instead of in branch panel
- Unable to deploy to emulator or device using .NET MAUI
- Visual Studio 2019 Professional 16.10.0 - Tabs do not render correctly for SQL files.
- Cpp targets redirection fails when using DisableInstalledVCTargetsUse=true if MinimumVisualStudioVersion is 16.0
- Build Warning MSB4011 Since Last Xamarin and XCode Updates
released May 25, 2021
Summary of What's New in this Release of Visual Studio 2019 version 16.11 Preview 1
.NET Hot Reload User Experienced for editing managed code at runtime
In this release we are excited to make available the first release of the new Hot Reload user experience when editing code files for applications such as WPF, Windows Forms, ASP.NET Core, Console, etc. With Hot Reload you can now modify your apps managed source code while the application is running with no need to pause execution or use a breakpoint. Instead, simply make a supported change and use the new “apply code changes” button in the toolbar to apply them immediately.
In this update of Visual Studio this new experience is available when running your application under the debugger (F5) and is powered by the Edit and Continue (EnC) mechanism. Therefore, anywhere that EnC is supported you can now also use Hot Reload alongside any other debugger features. .NET Hot Reload will also work alongside XAML Hot Reload, making it possible to make both UI and code-behind changes in your desktop applications such as WPF or WinUI.
Both EnC and Hot Reload also share the same limitations, so be aware that not every type of edit is currently supported. The complete list of what is or is not supported can be found in our documentation.
To learn more about Hot Reload and our long-term vision you can also read more details in our blog post.
Issues Addressed in 16.11 Preview 1
- Fixed an issue with C++20 Modules IntelliSense where some language constructs would cause the compiler to crash.
- Fixed an issue that will cause a small amount of additional memory to leak.
- Fixed an API breaking change on AudioUnitPropertyIDType.
- Developers using UWP unit test framework who wish to run their tests on remote devices or emulators were unable to run the tests on remote devices.
From Developer Community
- CMake Integration: Environments specified in
CMakeSettings.jsonare not inherited when Visual Studio is used as the generator
- There was an error activating the remote language server
- .pdb locked by ServiceHub.DataWarehouseHost.exe after running VS Profiler
- Visual Studio 2019 Preview can't launch new MAUI app for Android
- Blazor save & refresh build hangs Visual Studio
- Code Map shows method call not existing in the source code
See all open issues and available workarounds in Visual Studio 2019 by following the below link.
Feedback and suggestions
We would love to hear from you! For issues, let us know through the Report a Problem option in the upper right-hand corner of either the installer or the Visual Studio IDE itself. The icon is located in the upper right-hand corner. You can make a product suggestion or track your issues in the Visual Studio Developer Community, where you can ask questions, find answers, and propose new features. You can also get free installation help through our Live Chat support.
Take advantage of the insights and recommendations available in the Developer Tools Blogs site to keep you up-to-date on all new releases and include deep dive posts on a broad range of features.
Visual Studio 2019 Release Notes History
For more information relating to past versions of Visual Studio 2019, see the Visual Studio 2019 Release Notes History page.