How to test a driver package
You can use Visual Studio to deploy and install a driver package on a test computer, and then verify that the driver is installed and running.
- A driver package that is ready to install. You must first create and build your driver and then create a driver package for installation. For more information, see Building a Driver and Creating a Driver Package.
- If you have not already done so, follow the instructions to Provision a computer for driver deployment and testing (WDK 8.1).
- After you have configured and provisioned a test computer, you can use Visual Studio to deploy drivers, schedule tests, and debug drivers on the test computer. For information about deployment and about how you can deploy a driver automatically at build time, see Deploying a Driver to a Test Computer.
Step 1: To test the driver installation on a test computer
After you have configured and provisioned a test computer, you can configure the driver package project so that it is automatically deployed and installed on the test computer.
- Open the property pages for your driver project. Right-click the driver project in Solution Explorer and select Properties.
- In the property pages for the driver, click Configuration Properties, click Driver Install, and then click Deployment.
- Select the Enable deployment option. For more information, see Deployment Properties for Driver Projects.
- Select the test computer you have configured as the Remote Computer.
- Under Driver Installation Options, click Install and Verify, and then select the Default Driver Installation Task.