Microsoft Project Honolulu Frequently Asked Questions
Applies To: Windows Server (Semi-Annual Channel), Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and Windows 10
Q: Is project Honolulu new?
A: Honolulu is under development and has not been widely released. As such, we are counting on your help to influence the future of this platform! Send us your suggestions or feedback.
Q: Why are you developing Project Honolulu?
A: Last year we launched Server management tools, an Azure-hosted service for remotely managing your Windows Servers. Since then, we’ve been hard at work to deliver on the primary customer request collected from our UserVoice forum -- to enable an on-premises customer-deployed solution with no Azure or cloud requirement.
Q: Is Honolulu a complete replacement for all traditional Microsoft Management Console (MMC) tools?
A: Although Honolulu can manage many common scenarios, it does not completely replace the MMC. Honolulu has the following capabilities:
- Displaying resources and resource utilization
- Certificate Management
- Event Viewer
- File Explorer
- Firewall Management
- Configuring Local Users and Groups
- Network Settings
- Viewing/Ending Processes and Creating Process Dumps
- Registry Editing
- Managing Windows Services
- Enabling/Disabling Roles & Features
- Managing Hyper-V VMs & Virtual Switches
- Managing Storage
- Managing Windows Update
Honolulu does not currently replicate the following RSAT tools:
- AD Directory Administrative Center
- AD Domains and Trusts
- AD Module for Windows PowerShell
- AD Site and Services
- AD Users and Computers
- ADSI Edit
- Cluster Aware Updating
- Component Services
- DFS Management
- Failover Cluster Manager
- File Server Resource Manager
- Group Policy Management
- iSCSI initiator
- Network Load Balancing Manager
- Performance Monitor
- Print Management
- Remote Access management
- Routing and Remote Access
- Shielding Data File Wizard
- Task Scheduler
- Volume Activation Tools
- Windows Server Update Services
Q: What Microsoft operating systems can Honolulu manage?
A: Honolulu can manage the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2
Q: How much does Honolulu cost?
A: Honolulu is free of charge. Download it here: https://aka.ms/HonoluluDownload
Q: Can Honolulu be used to manage the free Microsoft Hyper-V Server?
A: Yes. Honolulu can be used to manage Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 and Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2.