Mobile device management
Windows 10 provides an enterprise management solution to help IT pros manage company security policies and business applications, while avoiding compromise of the users’ privacy on their personal devices. A built-in management component can communicate with the management server.
There are two parts to the Windows 10 management component:
- The enrollment client, which enrolls and configures the device to communicate with the enterprise management server.
- The management client, which periodically synchronizes with the management server to check for updates and apply the latest policies set by IT.
Third-party MDM servers can manage Windows 10 by using the MDM protocol. The built-in management client is able to communicate with a third-party server proxy that supports the protocols outlined in this document to perform enterprise management tasks. The third-party server will have the same consistent first-party user experience for enrollment, which also provides simplicity for Windows 10 users. MDM servers do not need to create or download a client to manage Windows 10. For details about the MDM protocols, see [MS-MDM]: Mobile Device Management Protocol and [MS-MDE2]: Mobile Device Enrollment Protocol Version 2.
Learn about migrating to MDM
When an organization wants to move to MDM to manage devices, they should prepare by analyzing their current Group Policy settings to see what they need to transition to MDM management. Microsoft created the MDM Migration Analysis Tool (MMAT) to help. MMAT determines which Group Policies have been set for a target user or computer and then generates a report that lists the level of support for each policy settings in MDM equivalents. For more information, see MMAT Instructions.
Learn about device enrollment
- Mobile device enrollment
- Federated authentication device enrollment
- Certificate authentication device enrollment
- On-premise authentication device enrollment
Learn about device management
- Azure Active Directory integration with MDM
- Enterprise app management
- Device update management
- Enable offline upgrades to Windows 10 for Windows Embedded 8.1 Handheld devices
- OMA DM protocol support
- Structure of OMA DM provisioning files
- Server requirements for OMA DM
- Enterprise settings, policies, and app management