Install Windows Configuration Designer, and learn about any limitations
- Windows 10
- Windows 11
Use the Windows Configuration Designer tool to create provisioning packages to easily configure devices running Windows client. Windows Configuration Designer is primarily used by IT departments for business and educational institutions who need to provision bring-your-own-device (BYOD) and business-supplied devices.
Windows Configuration Designer can create provisioning packages for Windows client desktop, including Windows IoT Core, Microsoft Surface Hub, and Microsoft HoloLens. You can run Windows Configuration Designer on the following operating systems:
- Windows 11
- Windows 10 - x86 and amd64
- Windows 8.1 Update - x86 and amd64
- Windows 8.1 - x86 and amd64
- Windows 8 - x86 and amd64
- Windows 7 - x86 and amd64
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Update
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2
You must run Windows Configuration Designer on Windows client to configure Azure Active Directory enrollment using any of the wizards.
Install Windows Configuration Designer
On devices running Windows client, you can install the Windows Configuration Designer app from the Microsoft Store.
Current Windows Configuration Designer limitations
Windows Configuration Designer doesn't work properly if the Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Security Zones: Use only machine settings Group Policy setting is enabled. Instead of changing the security setting, we recommend you run Windows Configuration Designer on a different device.
You can only run one instance of Windows Configuration Designer on your computer at a time.
When adding apps and drivers, all files stored in the same folder are imported, and may cause errors during the build process.
The Windows Configuration Designer UI doesn't support multivariant configurations. Instead, you must use the Windows Configuration Designer command-line interface to configure multivariant settings. For more information, see Create a provisioning package with multivariant settings.
In Windows Configuration Designer, you can only build one project at a time. You can open multiple projects at the same time, but you can only build one at a time.
To enable the simplified authoring jscripts to work on a server SKU running Windows Configuration Designer, you must enable Allow websites to prompt for information using scripted windows:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Go to Settings > Internet Options > Security > Custom level.
- Select Allow websites to prompt for information using scripted windows > Enable.
If you copy a Windows Configuration Designer project from one PC to another PC, then:
- Copy all the associated files for the deployment assets with the project, including apps and drivers.
- Copy all the files to the same path as the original PC.
For example, when you add a driver to a provisioned package, you must copy the
.INFfile to a local directory on the PC that's running Windows Configuration Designer. If you don't copy the
.INFfile, and use a copied version of this project on a different PC, then Windows Configuration Designer might resolve the file paths to the original PC.
Recommended: Before starting, copy all source files to the PC running Windows Configuration Designer. Don't use external sources, like network shares or removable drives. Using local files reduces the risk of interrupting the build process from a network issue, or from disconnecting the USB device.
Next step: How to create a provisioning package
- Provisioning packages for Windows client
- How provisioning works in Windows client
- Create a provisioning package
- Apply a provisioning package
- Settings changed when you uninstall a provisioning package
- Provision PCs with common settings for initial deployment (simple provisioning)
- Use a script to install a desktop app in provisioning packages
- PowerShell cmdlets for provisioning Windows client (reference)
- Windows Configuration Designer command-line interface (reference)
- Create a provisioning package with multivariant settings