Monitor Windows Updates with Update Compliance
Update Compliance is a Windows Analytics solution that enables organizations to:
- Monitor Windows 10 Professional, Education, and Enterprise security, quality, and feature updates.
- View a report of device and update issues related to compliance that need attention.
- See the status of Windows Defender Antivirus signatures and threats.
- Check bandwidth savings incurred across multiple content types by using Delivery Optimization.
Update Compliance is offered through the Azure portal, and is available free for devices that meet the prerequisites.
Update Compliance uses Windows 10 and Windows Defender Antivirus diagnostic data for all of its reporting. It collects system data including update deployment progress, Windows Update for Business configuration data, Windows Defender Antivirus data, and Delivery Optimization usage data, and then sends this data to a secure cloud to be stored for analysis and usage in Azure Log Analytics.
See the following topics in this guide for detailed information about configuring and using the Update Compliance solution:
- Get started with Update Compliance: How to add Update Compliance to your environment.
- Using Update Compliance: How to begin using Update Compliance.
Update Compliance architecture
The Update Compliance architecture and data flow is summarized by the following five-step process:
(1) User computers send diagnostic data to a secure Microsoft data center using the Microsoft Data Management Service.
(2) Diagnostic data is analyzed by the Update Compliance Data Service.
(3) Diagnostic data is pushed from the Update Compliance Data Service to your Azure Log Analytics workspace.
(4) Diagnostic data is available in the Update Compliance solution.
This process assumes that Windows diagnostic data is enabled and data sharing is enabled as described in Enrolling devices in Windows Analytics.