[Beginning with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, this function has been deprecated. Please use CM_Get_Child instead.]
CMAPI CONFIGRET CM_Get_Child_Ex( PDEVINST pdnDevInst, DEVINST dnDevInst, ULONG ulFlags, HMACHINE hMachine );
Caller-supplied pointer to the device instance handle to the child node that this function retrieves. The retrieved handle is bound to the machine handle supplied by hMachine. See the Remarks section.
Caller-supplied device instance handle that is bound to the machine handle supplied by hMachine.
Not used, must be zero.
Caller-supplied machine handle to which the caller-supplied device instance handle is bound.
If the operation succeeds, the function returns CR_SUCCESS. Otherwise, it returns one of the CR_-prefixed error codes defined in Cfgmgr32.h.
To enumerate all children of a devnode in a local or a remote machine's device tree, first call CM_Get_Child_Ex to obtain a handle to the first child node, then call CM_Get_Sibling_Ex to obtain handles for the rest of the children.
Using Device Instance Handles
Device instance handle that you use with PnP configuration manager functions are bound to machine handles, as follows:
- All local device instance handles are bound to a NULL-valued local machine handle.
- If you use a remote machine handle to obtain a device instance handle, the resulting remote device instance handle is bound to the remote machine handle.
- A device instance handle can be used only with the machine handle to which it is bound.
- A device instance handle can be used with another device instance handle only if both device instance handles are bound to the same machine handle.
To obtain a local or a remote device instance handle, do one of the following.
- Use one of the following functions to retrieve a device instance handle bound to the local machine: CM_Locate_DevNode, CM_Get_Child, CM_Get_Parent, or CM_Get_Sibling.
- Use one of the following functions to retrieve a device instance handle bound to a local or a remote machine: CM_Locate_DevNode_Ex, CM_Get_Child_Ex, CM_Get_Parent_Ex, or CM_Get_Sibling_Ex.
- Obtain a device information set.
- Obtain an SP_DEVINFO_DATA structure for a device instance in the device information set.
- Obtain the device instance handle for the device instance from the DevInst member of the SP_DEVINFO_DATA structure.
- Obtain the machine handle to which the device instance handle is bound. A device instance handle obtained from a device information set is bound to the machine handle to which the device information set is bound. You obtain the machine handle for a device information set from the RemoteMachineHandle member of its SP_DEVINFO_LIST_DETAIL_DATA structure. (Call SetupDiGetDeviceInfoListDetail to obtain an SP_DEVINFO_LIST_DETAIL_DATA structure.)
|Minimum supported client||Available in Microsoft Windows 2000 and later versions of Windows.|
|Header||cfgmgr32.h (include Cfgmgr32.h)|