Creates a memory stream using a similar process to CreateStreamOnHGlobal.
IStream * SHCreateMemStream( const BYTE *pInit, UINT cbInit );
Type: const BYTE*
A pointer to a buffer of size cbInit. The contents of this buffer are used to set the initial contents of the memory stream. If this parameter is NULL, the returned memory stream does not have any initial content.
The number of bytes in the buffer pointed to by pInit. If pInit is set to NULL, cbInit must be zero.
On success, returns a pointer to the created memory stream. Returns NULL if the stream object could not be allocated.
Prior to Windows Vista, this function was not included in the public Shlwapi.h file, nor was it exported by name from Shlwapi.dll. To use it on earlier systems, you must call it directly from the Shlwapi.dll file as ordinal 12.
This function creates a memory stream. This is an implementation of the IStream interface that stores its contents in memory. SHCreateMemStream differs from CreateStreamOnHGlobal in the following ways.
- Thread safety. The stream created by SHCreateMemStream is thread-safe as of Windows 8. On earlier systems, the stream is not thread-safe. The stream created by CreateStreamOnHGlobal is thread-safe.
- Initial contents. SHCreateMemStream accepts the initial contents in the form of a buffer. CreateStreamOnHGlobal accepts the initial contents in the form of an HGLOBAL.
- Access to contents. SHCreateMemStream does not allow direct access to the stream contents. CreateStreamOnHGlobal permits access through GetHGlobalFromStream.
- Failure information. If SHCreateMemStream returns NULL, it was unable to allocate the neccessary memory. Callers should assume the cause is E_OUTOFMEMORY.
- Support for IStream::Clone. Prior to Windows 8, the stream created by SHCreateMemStream does not support IStream::Clone. The stream created by CreateStreamOnHGlobal does. As of Windows 8, the stream created by SHCreateMemStream does support IStream::Clone.
- The stream returned by SHCreateMemStream returns S_FALSE from IStream::Read if you attempt to read past the end of the buffer. The stream returned by CreateStreamOnHGlobal returns S_OK and sets *pcbRead to 0 if you attempt to read past the end of the buffer.
|Minimum supported client||Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP [desktop apps only]|
|Minimum supported server||Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003 [desktop apps only]|
|DLL||Shlwapi.dll (version 5.0 or later)|