Proper functioning of TAPI components requires setting up the communications environment on a computer as follows:
- Installation is performed when software or hardware is first added to the computer. Detailed procedures depend on the operating system and the software itself.
- Primary initialization creates the objects and communication paths.
- Version negotiation ensures that TAPI components will be able to exchange data.
- Resource inventory retrieves information concerning devices available for use by a TAPI application.
- Event notification specifies how TAPI and the service providers pass asynchronous operation results and state change information to the application.
Summary of Related Reference Pages
|TAPI 2.x functions||Description|
|lineInitializeEx||Sets up the telephony environment, returns application handle and device count.|
|lineGetDevCaps||Gets device capabilities, such as TAPI version or media types supported.|
|lineGetAddressCaps||Gets address capabilities, such as whether call park is supported.|
|lineOpen||Notifies TAPI that the application will be using the line, and in what way.|
|lineGetMessage||Returns the next TAPI message that is queued for delivery to an application that is using the Event Handle notification mechanism|
|TAPI 3.x interfaces or methods||Description|
|ITTAPI::Initialize||Sets up telephony environment.|
|ITTAPI::EnumerateAddresses||Enumerates addresses currently available.|
|ITTAPI::get_Addresses||Creates a collection of addresses currently available. Provided for Automation client applications, such as those written in Visual Basic.|
|ITTAPIEventNotification::Event||Determines response to an asynchronous event notification. Implemented by the application, invoked by TAPI.|
|ITTAPI::put_EventFilter||Sets the event filter mask, which notifies TAPI which events the application requires.|
|ITTAPI::RegisterCallNotifications||Instructs TAPI to pass the application incoming sessions for a specified address and set of media types.|
|ITMediaSupport||Allows an application to discover the media support capabilities for an address.|