Non-Default Backup and Restore Locations
Backup and restore operations typically copy files from a given, default location on disk to backup media and then restore from that media to the same default location on disk.
There are many reasons, particularly when dealing with running processes, not to follow this simple model. VSS supports using nonstandard sources for backup and alternate destinations for restore, and includes mechanisms to work with subsets of files and to remap files.
- Working with Alternate Paths during Backup
- Working with Alternate Locations during Restore
- Working with New Targets during Restore
- Working with Partial Files
- Working with Directed Targets