Use WSUS to deploy definition updates to computers that are running Windows Defender
This article describes how to use Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) to deploy definition updates to computers that are running Microsoft Windows Defender.
Original product version: Windows Server Update Services
Original KB number: 919772
Deploy Windows Defender definition updates
To do this, follow these steps:
Open the WSUS Administrator console, and then select Options at the bottom of the console tree.
Select Products and Classifications and verify that the Windows Defender check box is selected under the Products tab.
Verify that the Definition Updates check box is selected under the Classifications tab, and then select OK.
Optional: approve the updates by using an automatic approval rule. To do this, follow these steps:
- At the bottom of the console tree, select Options.
- Select Automatic Approvals.
- Under step 1, select New Rule..., and then select the When an update is in a specific classification check box and the When an update is in a specific product check box.
- Under step 2, select Any classification > Definition Updates, then click OK.
- Next, select Any product and clear the All Products check box, then scroll down and select Windows Defender, afterward select OK.
At the bottom of the console tree, select Synchronizations.
On the action pane on the left, select Synchronize now.
At the top of the console tree, select Updates.
Approve any Windows Defender updates that WSUS should deploy.