Next-generation protection in Windows
Welcome to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, the new name for Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection. Read more about this and other updates here. We'll be updating names in products and in the docs in the near future.
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
Microsoft Defender Antivirus: Your next-generation protection
Microsoft Defender Antivirus is the next-generation protection component of Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. This protection brings together machine learning, big-data analysis, in-depth threat resistance research, and the Microsoft cloud infrastructure to protect devices in your enterprise organization. Your next-generation protection services include the following capabilities:
- Behavior-based, heuristic, and real-time antivirus protection, which includes always-on scanning using file and process behavior monitoring and other heuristics (also known as real-time protection). It also includes detecting and blocking apps that are deemed unsafe, but might not be detected as malware.
- Cloud-delivered protection, which includes near-instant detection and blocking of new and emerging threats.
- Dedicated protection and product updates, which includes updates related to keeping Microsoft Defender Antivirus up to date.
Try a demo!
Visit the Microsoft Defender for Endpoint demo website to confirm the following protection features are working and explore them using demo scenarios:
- Cloud-delivered protection
- Block at first sight (BAFS) protection
- Potentially unwanted applications (PUA) protection
Minimum system requirements
Microsoft Defender Antivirus has the same hardware requirements as of Windows 10. For more information, see the following resources:
Configure next-generation protection services
For information on how to configure next-generation protection services, see Configure Microsoft Defender Antivirus features.
Configuration and management is largely the same in Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2019, while running Microsoft Defender Antivirus; however, there are some differences. To learn more, see Microsoft Defender Antivirus on Windows Server 2016 and 2019.