Compatibility and telemetry in Office
Applies to: Office 365 ProPlus, Office 2019, and Office 2016
To assess your Office compatibility, we recommend using the Readiness Toolkit for Office add-ins and VBA. The Readiness Toolkit is a free download and can be used to identify the VBA macros and add-ins used in your organization. Also, the Excel-based readiness reports can tell you which add-ins are adopted or supported in Office 365 ProPlus and can provide suggestions on how to remediate VBA macros issues that are identified. For more information, see Use the Readiness Toolkit to assess application compatibility for Office 365 ProPlus.
The following table describes resources that are available to IT Professionals who are assessing Office compatibility.
Office compatibility roadmap for IT Pros
||Thinking about deploying the 64-bit version of Office? Be sure to carefully review Choose between the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office before you decide.
|Deploy and configure Telemetry Dashboard
||Before you can start to collect Office inventory and usage data, you must Deploy Telemetry Dashboard. Be sure to review our topology and hardware guidance before you roll out the telemetry components. If you're setting up a small or test environment, we have a script that will quickly set up Telemetry Dashboard on a single computer. You can deploy telemetry agents by using your preferred deployment method. This can include deploying telemetry agents by using System Center Configuration Manager.
You'll need to update the Office Telemetry components if you're moving from an Office 2013 installation of Telemetry Dashboard.
Having trouble getting data into the dashboard? You can troubleshoot Telemetry Dashboard deployments.
If you are concerned about maintaining user privacy for the data that is collected, you can manage privacy settings and see the full list of data that is collected. If, for any reason, you must delete the local telemetry data on a client computer, you can do that, too.
To manage the telemetry database, download the Telemetry Dashboard Administration Tool (Tdadm). You can use this tool to clean up unused user, solution, and computer data, or to copy or move telemetry data to another database. Visit the Tdadm wiki for usage information.
|Use Telemetry Dashboard
||This video about Telemetry Dashboard navigation will help you start Telemetry Dashboard, connect to the telemetry database, and view inventory and telemetry data. You can then use Telemetry Dashboard to monitor Office stability and deployment status. You can also use Telemetry Dashboard to manage add-ins in Office. If you aren't sure what the data in a worksheet means, take a look at our reference guide, which describes each worksheet. Want to customize how data telemetry data is displayed in the dashboard? No problem! Creating custom reports in Telemetry Dashboard is easy. Watch this video to see custom reporting in action.
(Although these videos are for an earlier version of Office, the information also applies to newer versions of Office.)
Is your dashboard empty? The agents can require to 4 hours to start transmitting data. You can speed up this process by triggering data collection manually. You might also want to troubleshoot Telemetry Dashboard deployments.
|Troubleshoot Office documents and custom solutions
||Ready to troubleshoot issues with Office documents and custom solutions? You'll want to use Telemetry Log to do this troubleshooting. Telemetry Log displays compatibility issues for Word, Excel, and Outlook. To see how the telemetry log works, you can download sample Office documents that trigger compatibility events in Telemetry Log.
||Here are links to tables and other types of reference information.
File formats and extensions
- File format reference for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- XML file name extension reference for Office
Telemetry Dashboard, agent, and other telemetry components
- Telemetry Dashboard worksheet reference
- Registry settings and Group Policy settings for telemetry agent
- Data that the telemetry agent collects
- Custom reporting and database schema reference for Telemetry Dashboard
- Document and solution types monitored by telemetry in Office
- Types of Office files and solutions tracked in the telemetry log
- Types of events displayed in the telemetry log
Compatibility issues in telemetry log
- Removed and deprecated members in the object model
- Behavior changes in the object model
- Hidden members in the object model
||Here are the scripts that can be used with Telemetry Dashboard:
- Set up Telemetry Dashboard on a single computer This script automates all required configurations and provides an quick and easy setup of Telemetry Dashboard.
- Create Group Policy Object for tags (labels) for Telemetry Dashboard Create-GroupPolicyObjectForTags.ps1 can be used for bulk Group Policy Object (GPO) generation to configure tags (labels) for Telemetry Dashboard. The script creates GPOs that are linked to a specified domain, site, or OU with or without security filtering by security groups.
- Add tags (labels) for Telemetry Dashboard Add-Tags.vbs can be used to set tags (labels) for Telemetry Dashboard. The script retrieves properties of a user object from Active Directory and writes registry values for labels, which Telemetry Dashboard can use to filter data. The script was written for Office 2013 but you can modify it to work with newer versions of Office.
||Here are the downloads that are related to Office compatibility:
- Telemetry Dashboard Administration Tool download and wiki
- Sample Office documents that trigger compatibility events in Telemetry Log
- Visio 2016 Viewer
- Administrative Template files (ADMX/ADML) for Group Policy
- Telemetry in Office 2013 (poster)*
* Although the poster is for an earlier version of Office, the information also applies to newer versions of Office.
||Watch videos that are related to Office compatibility:
- Quick tips for Telemetry Dashboard navigation
- Creating custom reports in Telemetry Dashboard
Although these videos are for an earlier version of Office, the information also applies to newer versions of Office.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.