Resources for Retention
You can attend all the conferences, seminars, and training courses that you want, but just watching and listening will only allow you to retain about 10% of the information given to you. A measly 10%. That’s a pretty low return on your investment. Luckily, we’ve designed TechDays to help participants remember and recall a whole lot more than that.
For those attending the conference in person (there is still time to register for Vancouver and Montreal!) there are the Instructor-Led Labs where you can bring your notebook and get your hand dirty on the cool technology that you’ve been learning about. You can also review the materials – session recordings and access to the labs will go live on the TechDays site after the conference is finished, in December. But in addition there are resources that you can use to supplement your learning.
The complete list of session resources will be coming out soon as my colleagues pull together information for each of their areas. But for now, I’ll list the ones for the sessions that I’ve been working on organizing – the Security, Identity and Management sessions. These sessions cover a wide range of topics – everything from securing your wireless network to how the latest innovation in System Center, called Orchestrator, helps you build a flexible private cloud infrastructure by creating automated process workflows from numerous vendor products.
Whether you’re able to join us in-person at TechDays or not, below are some great resources for diving in and learning more about securing and managing your infrastructure. Happy Learning!
Securing your infrastructure:
- Wireless deployment best practices
- Microsoft Security Essentials (free download)
- Microsoft Forefront (evaluation)
General systems management using System Center products:
- General Information on Microsoft System Center
- System Center technical forums
- TechNet Evaluation Center where the latest System Center pre-release products can be downloaded and trialed
- Certification on System Center products
Information on System Center Orchestrator:
- Microsoft System Center Orchestrator team blog
- Blog of Charles Joy who came to Microsoft through the Opalis acquisition and writes about all things Opalis, and now Orchestrator
- Opalis on Codeplex
Information on System Center Operations Manager:
- System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 on TechNet
- Operations Manager 2007 R2 Quick Start Guide
- Solutions for Optimizing SharePoint using virtualization and System Center
- Using a Firewall with Operations Manager 2007
Learning more about PowerShell:
- Community-run Powershell site for news, forums, user groups and script repository
- TechNet Script Center