Tutorial: Azure Active Directory single sign-on (SSO) integration with Datasite
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Datasite with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Datasite with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Datasite.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Datasite with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To learn more about SaaS app integration with Azure AD, see What is application access and single sign-on with Azure Active Directory.
To get started, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Datasite single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD SSO in a test environment.
Datasite supports SP initiated SSO
Once you configure Datasite you can enforce session control, which protects exfiltration and infiltration of your organization’s sensitive data in real time. Session control extends from Conditional Access. Learn how to enforce session control with Microsoft Cloud App Security.
Identifier of this application is a fixed string value so only one instance can be configured in one tenant.
Adding Datasite from the gallery
To configure the integration of Datasite into Azure AD, you need to add Datasite from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Datasite in the search box.
- Select Datasite from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Configure and test Azure AD SSO for Datasite
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Datasite using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Datasite.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Datasite, complete the following building blocks:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Datasite SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Datasite test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Datasite that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Datasite application integration page, find the Manage section and select single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the edit/pen icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, enter the values for the following fields:
In the Sign-on URL text box, type the URL:
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, in the SAML Signing Certificate section, find Certificate (Base64) and select Download to download the certificate and save it on your computer.
On the Set up Datasite section, copy the appropriate URL(s) based on your requirement.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the firstname.lastname@example.org. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Datasite.
In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
In the applications list, select Datasite.
In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
If you're expecting any role value in the SAML assertion, in the Select Role dialog, select the appropriate role for the user from the list and then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Datasite SSO
To configure single sign-on on Datasite side, you need to send the downloaded Certificate (Base64) and appropriate copied URLs from Azure portal to Datasite support team. They set this setting to have the SAML SSO connection set properly on both sides.
Create Datasite test user
In this section, you create a user called B.Simon in Datasite. Work with Datasite support team to add the users in the Datasite platform. Users must be created and activated before you use single sign-on.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration using the Access Panel.
When you click the Datasite tile in the Access Panel, you should be automatically signed in to the Datasite for which you set up SSO. For more information about the Access Panel, see Introduction to the Access Panel.