Tutorial: Azure Active Directory single sign-on (SSO) integration with Fastly Edge Cloud
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Fastly Edge Cloud with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Fastly Edge Cloud with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Fastly Edge Cloud.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Fastly Edge Cloud with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To learn more about SaaS app integration with Azure AD, see What is application access and single sign-on with Azure Active Directory.
To get started, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Fastly Edge Cloud single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD SSO in a test environment.
- Fastly Edge Cloud supports IDP initiated SSO
Adding Fastly Edge Cloud from the gallery
To configure the integration of Fastly Edge Cloud into Azure AD, you need to add Fastly Edge Cloud from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Fastly Edge Cloud in the search box.
- Select Fastly Edge Cloud from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Configure and test Azure AD single sign-on for Fastly Edge Cloud
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Fastly Edge Cloud using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Fastly Edge Cloud.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Fastly Edge Cloud, complete the following building blocks:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Fastly Edge Cloud SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Fastly Edge Cloud test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Fastly Edge Cloud that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Fastly Edge Cloud application integration page, find the Manage section and select single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the edit/pen icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, enter the values for the following fields:
In the Identifier text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
This value is not real. Update the value with the actual Identifier. Contact Fastly Edge Cloud Client support team to get the value. You can also refer to the patterns shown in the Basic SAML Configuration section in the Azure portal.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, in the SAML Signing Certificate section, find Federation Metadata XML and select Download to download the certificate and save it on your computer.
On the Set up Fastly Edge Cloud section, copy the appropriate URL(s) based on your requirement.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the firstname.lastname@example.org. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Fastly Edge Cloud.
In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
In the applications list, select Fastly Edge Cloud.
In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
If you're expecting any role value in the SAML assertion, in the Select Role dialog, select the appropriate role for the user from the list and then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Fastly Edge Cloud SSO
To configure single sign-on on Fastly Edge Cloud side, you need to send the downloaded Federation Metadata XML and appropriate copied URLs from Azure portal to Fastly Edge Cloud support team. They set this setting to have the SAML SSO connection set properly on both sides.
Create Fastly Edge Cloud test user
In this section, you create a user called B.Simon in Fastly Edge Cloud. Work with Fastly Edge Cloud support team to add the users in the Fastly Edge Cloud platform. Users must be created and activated before you use single sign-on.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration using the Access Panel.
When you click the Fastly Edge Cloud tile in the Access Panel, you should be automatically signed in to the Fastly Edge Cloud for which you set up SSO. For more information about the Access Panel, see Introduction to the Access Panel.