Introduction to Azure Advisor
Learn about the key capabilities of Azure Advisor and get answers to frequently asked questions.
What is Advisor?
Advisor is a personalized cloud consultant that helps you follow best practices to optimize your Azure deployments. It analyzes your resource configuration and usage telemetry and then recommends solutions that can help you improve the cost effectiveness, performance, high availability, and security of your Azure resources.
With Advisor, you can:
- Get proactive, actionable, and personalized best practices recommendations.
- Improve the performance, security, and high availability of your resources, as you identify opportunities to reduce your overall Azure spend.
- Get recommendations with proposed actions inline.
The Advisor dashboard displays personalized recommendations for all your subscriptions. You can apply filters to display recommendations for specific subscriptions and resource types. The recommendations are divided into four categories:
- High Availability: To ensure and improve the continuity of your business-critical applications. For more information, see Advisor High Availability recommendations.
- Security: To detect threats and vulnerabilities that might lead to security breaches. For more information, see Advisor Security recommendations.
- Performance: To improve the speed of your applications. For more information, see Advisor Performance recommendations.
Cost: To optimize and reduce your overall Azure spending. For more information, see Advisor Cost recommendations.
You can click a category to display the list of recommendations within that category, and select a recommendation to learn more about it. You can also learn about actions that you can perform to take advantage of an opportunity or resolve an issue.
Select the recommended action for a recommendation to implement the recommendation. A simple interface will open that enables you to implement the recommendation or refer you to documentation that assists you with implementation. Once you implement a recommendation, it can take up to a day for Advisor to recognize that.
If you do not intend to take immediate action on a recommendation, you can postpone it for a specified time period or dismiss it. If you do not want to receive recommendations for a specific subscription or resource group, you can configure Advisor to only generate recommendations for specified subscriptions and resource groups.
Frequently asked questions
How do I access Advisor?
You can also view Advisor recommendations through the virtual machine resource interface. Choose a virtual machine, and then scroll to Advisor recommendations in the menu.
What permissions do I need to access Advisor?
You can access Advisor recommendations as Owner, Contributor, or Reader of a subscription.
What resources does Advisor provide recommendations for?
Advisor provides recommendations for virtual machines, availability sets, application gateways, App Services, SQL servers, and Redis Cache.
Can I postpone or dismiss a recommendation?
To postpone or dismiss a recommendation, click the Postpone link. You can specify a postpone period or select Never to dismiss the recommendation.
To learn more about Advisor recommendations, see: