Create a Log Analytics workspace in the Azure portal
Use the Log Analytics workspaces menu to create a Log Analytics workspace using the Azure portal. A Log Analytics workspace is a unique environment for Azure Monitor log data. Each workspace has its own data repository and configuration, and data sources and solutions are configured to store their data in a particular workspace. You require a Log Analytics workspace if you intend on collecting data from the following sources:
- Azure resources in your subscription
- On-premises computers monitored by System Center Operations Manager
- Device collections from System Center Configuration Manager
- Diagnostics or log data from Azure storage
For other sources, such as Azure VMs and Windows or Linux VMs in your environment, see the following topics:
- Collect data from Azure virtual machines
- Collect data from hybrid Linux computer
- Collect data from hybrid Windows computer
If you don't have an Azure subscription, create a free account before you begin.
Sign in to Azure portal
Sign in to the Azure portal at https://portal.azure.com.
Create a workspace
In the Azure portal, click All services. In the list of resources, type Log Analytics. As you begin typing, the list filters based on your input. Select Log Analytics workspaces.
Click Add, and then select choices for the following items:
Provide a name for the new Log Analytics workspace, such as DefaultLAWorkspace.
Select a Subscription to link to by selecting from the drop-down list if the default selected is not appropriate.
For Resource Group, choose to use an existing resource group already setup or create a new one.
Select an available Location. For more information, see which regions Log Analytics is available in and search for Azure Monitor from the Search for a product field.
If you are creating a workspace in a new subscription created after April 2, 2018, it will automatically use the Per GB pricing plan and the option to select a pricing tier will not be available. If you are creating a workspace for an existing subscription created before April 2, or to subscription that was tied to an existing Enterprise Agreement (EA) enrollment, select your preferred pricing tier. For more information about the particular tiers, see Log Analytics Pricing Details.
After providing the required information on the Log Analytics Workspace pane, click OK.
While the information is verified and the workspace is created, you can track its progress under Notifications from the menu.
Now that you have a workspace available, you can configure collection of monitoring telemetry, run log searches to analyze that data, and add a management solution to provide additional data and analytic insights.
- To enable data collection from Azure resources with Azure Diagnostics or Azure storage, see Collect Azure service logs and metrics for use in Log Analytics.
- Add System Center Operations Manager as a data source to collect data from agents reporting your Operations Manager management group and store it in your Log Analytics workspace.
- Connect Configuration Manager to import computers that are members of collections in the hierarchy.
- Review the monitoring solutions available and how to add or remove a solution from your workspace.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.