Work item field index
Azure Boards | Azure DevOps Server 2019 | TFS 2018 | TFS 2017 | TFS 2015 | TFS 2013
Use this index to look up a description of each field used to track work items. This reference includes all fields defined within the core system processes/process templates: Basic, Agile, Scrum, and CMMI. The fields and work item types (WITs) available to you depend on the process you chose when you created your project.
To support additional tracking needs, you can define your own custom work item fields.
To support additional tracking needs, you can define your own custom work item fields using the Inheritance process model, or if your project collection is configured to use the On-premises XML process model, then see Modify or add a custom field.
To support additional tracking needs, you can modify or add a custom field.
The Analytics Service doesn't support reporting on plain text and HTML fields at this time.
Values in parenthesis indicate the following:
- System: Core system field assigned to all work item types for all processes
- Agile: Used only by the Agile process
- CMMI: Used only by the CMMI process
- Scrum: Used only by the Scrum process
- TCM: Used to support Test case management
By using the system fields or other fields you have added to your project collection, you can enable meaningful cross-project reports and queries. In addition, any non-system field that is referenced in the workflow or forms section of the work item type definition must have a FIELD element that defines it in the FIELDS section of the work item type definition XML file. Also, you must specify any non-system field that you might want to use to generate a query or report in the FIELDS section.
Field reference topics
The following articles describe fields that are used in common by several WITs, or those that are functionally specific to just one or a few WITs.
Fields common to many work types
- Titles, IDs, and descriptive fields
- History and revision changes
- Areas and iterations
- Assignments and account-specific fields
- Planning, ranking, and priorities
- Work estimates, activity, and other numeric fields
- Build and test integration fields
- Links and attachment related fields
Fields used by specific work item types
Fields used to track CMMI work items