Azure SQL Database Managed Instance
Azure SQL Database Managed Instance is a fully managed SQL Server Database Engine Instance hosted in Azure cloud. This is the best PaaS option for migrating your SQL Server database to the cloud. Learn how to create and use Managed Instance with our quickstarts, tutorials, and samples.
Find out more information about the Azure SQL Database Managed Instance service.
Rich surface area
Near 100% SQL feature compatibility with the latest version of SQL Server Database Engine.
Secure service placed in your private Azure VNet with private IP addresses.
Easily migrate your on-prem databases to Azure cloud using native restore.
Migration without downtime
Migrate a fleet of databases with minimal downtime using Database Migration Service.
Save up to 40% with Azure Hybrid Benefit (AHB) with your existing on-premises licences.
Azure PaaS enables you to use 99.99% available instance with minimal management.
Choose between General Purpose and Business Critical service tiers depending on your business needs.
Secure your instance and databases with built-in Azure SQL database security features.
New and preview features
We are continuously improving Managed Instance with new features:
- Business Critical service tier is now in General Availability (GA).
- (Preview) Create Instance-level Azure AD logins using CREATE LOGIN FROM EXTERNAL PROVIDER .
- (Preview) Create instances with server-level collation of your choice.
- Configure backup retention up to 35 days for Point-in-time restore. Note that Long-term backup retention (up to 10 years) is still not enabled so you can use Copy-only backups as an alternative.
- (Preview) Use Geo-distributed failover groups to keep a copy of the instance in the another region and ensure that your data will be available even in the regional disaster scenario.
- (Preview) Bring your own encryption keys while migrating on-premises databases that already have enabled Transparent Data Encryption (TDE).
- Managed Instances are protected with built-in firewall.
Managed Instance enables you to easily perform basic management tasks using the Azure portal, Azure CLI, and Azure PowerShell. Learn how to perform basic management tasks using the following quickstart samples:
|The Azure portal||Azure CLI||PowerShell||Azure Resource Manager template|
|Create a new Instance|
|Modify the Instance|
|Configure Azure network environment|
|Point in time restore|
Step-by-Step tutorials and learning materials
Learn how to create, manage, and use Managed Instance.
- Learn about hardware characteristics and limitations and Transact-SQL language differences.
- Configure Azure VNet where the Managed Instance will be deployed.
- Validate that your existing Azure VNet can be used to deploy Managed Instances.
- Connect to your instance using Azure Virtual Machine or Point-to-site connection, or Applications.
- Verify that your database can be migrated using Data Migration Asisstant or Database Experimentation Assistant.
- Bring your databases to Managed Instance using Native restore or Data Migration Service.
- Move your SSIS packages to Azure Data Factory, SSAS tabular models to Azure Analysis Service, and SSRS reports to PowerBI Premium.
- Apply storage performance best practices and considerations for General Purpose service tier.
- Find the best practices and recommendations for securing your instance.
- Find more How-to guides that can help you configure your Managed Instance.