Azure SQL Database: Single database
Azure SQL Database is a relational database as a service (DBaaS) based on the latest stable version of Microsoft SQL Server Database Engine. SQL Database is a high-performance, easy-to-use, reliable, and secure database that you can use to build new applications, websites, and microservices in the programming language of your choice, without needing to manage infrastructure. Learn how to use SQL Database with our quickstarts, tutorials, and samples.
SQL Database elastic pools are a simple, cost-effective solution for managing and scaling multiple databases that have varying and unpredictable usage demands.
SQL Database server
A SQL Database server is a central administration point for configuring security, tuning, backup policy, and other configuration properties on a set of single or pooled databases within the server.
Price and service tiers
Tailor the price/performance ratio to your needs with flexible service tiers that span from an affordable $5 a month to powerful 80-core databases.
Easily scale up your database to improve the performance of your application.
Platform as a service
Built-in high availability, automated backups, and geo-replication will help prevent maintenance operations, infrastructure failures, or hardware failures from stopping your business.
Help secure your database with Azure AD authentication, virtual networks, firewalls, and Always Encrypted connections. Identify threats and vulnerabilities with built-in security.
New and preview features
We are continuously improving SQL Database with new features, and we would like to hear your feedback regarding the following new features:
- (Preview) Hyperscale tier that supports up to 100-TB databases and multiple readable replicas.
- (Preview) New SQL Server 2019 intelligent query processing features, such as table variable deferred compilation, batch mode on rowstore tables, and scalar UDF inlining.
- (Preview) New Transact-SQL language functionalities, such as APPROX_COUNT_DISTINCT aggregate and bulk import from Azure Blob storage.
- (Preview) New SQL Server 2019 Online build and rebuild clustered columnstore index operations.
- (Preview) New Azure SQL Database Machine Learning Services (with R).
- (Preview) New serverless compute tier provides compute auto-scaling and bills per second for compute used.
Azure SQL Database enables you to perform basic management tasks by using the Azure portal, the Azure CLI, and Azure PowerShell. Learn how to perform basic management tasks by using the following quickstart samples:
|Azure portal||Azure CLI||PowerShell||Azure Resource Manager template|
|Create a database|
|Create an elastic pool|
|Scale a database|
|Scale an elastic pool|
Learn how to create, manage, and migrate databases by using Azure SQL Database.
- Create and design the schema for a new SQL database by using SSMS or .NET.
- Migrate an existing database to Azure by using Database Migration Assistant or BACPAC Import.
- Secure your SQL database.
- Distribute your data globally by using a geo-distributed database.
- Find more how-to guides that can help you configure your database.
Find scripts to manage common tasks.