Managing User Groups in Dynamics NAV
Access to functionality in Dynamics NAV is managed by permissions that are grouped in permission sets. Permission sets are granular, and it can be difficult to get an overview of which users can access which parts of the application. To help you manage permissions in Dynamics NAV for your company, you can set up one or more user groups, add permissions sets to the groups, and then add users to the groups. You can add more than one permission set to a user group.
Working in the User Groups Window
In the User Groups window, you can set up user groups, add and remove permissions, and you can apply changes to all or specific user groups. The following list describes the key tasks:
- Choose New to set up a new user group.
Here you add permission sets and users to the new user group.
- Choose User Group Permission Sets to view permissions set for a specific user group.
This window provides a list of roles that you have added to the user group.
- Choose User Group Members to add users to the group.
The users that you add to the user group inherit the roles and permissions that you added to the user group. If you want to add or remove permissions, you modify the user group, and the changes are automatically applied to the members of the group.
- Choose User by User Group to view a list of users. Here you can easily enable user groups for all or specific users.
- Choose Permission Set by User Group to view a list of permission sets and easily add permissions sets for all or specific user groups.
This window lists all existing roles and user groups. For each predefined role, you can see the objects that the role has permission to access. You can choose to apply one or more roles to all user groups, and you can add individual roles to each group. If you want to verify exactly which permissions a specific role has, choose the role, and then, on the Home tab, choose Permissions.