Assign roles and enable users for Omnichannel for Customer Service
Effective November 2020:
- Common Data Service has been renamed to Microsoft Dataverse. Learn more
- Some terminology in Microsoft Dataverse has been updated. For example, entity is now table and field is now column. Learn more
This article will be updated soon to reflect the latest terminology.
Omnichannel for Customer Service offers a suite of capabilities that extend the power of Dynamics 365 Customer Service Enterprise to enable organizations to instantly connect and engage with their customers across digital messaging channels. An additional license is required to access Omnichannel for Customer service. For more information, see the Dynamics 365 Customer Service pricing overview and Dynamics 365 Customer Service pricing plan pages.
Roles in Omnichannel for Customer Service
The Dynamics 365 users can access and perform different functions based on the roles that are assigned to them. The following roles can be assigned individually or in combination based on the tasks that need to be performed:
- Common Data Service User: Required by all users of Omnichannel for Customer Service.
- Omnichannel administrator: Required for performing administrator tasks; also requires the System Administrator role to manage user roles and privileges in Omnichannel for Customer Service.
- Omnichannel supervisor: Required for performing supervisor tasks.
- Omnichannel agent: Required for performing agent tasks.
- Productivity tools user: Required by users of Dynamics 365 Productivity Tools.
- Productivity tools administrator: Required by administrator users of Dynamics 365 Productivity Tools.
- App Profile Manager Administrator: Required for creating and assigning app profiles to users of Customer Service and Omnichannel for Customer Service.
- App Profile User: Required by users of Customer Service and Omnichannel for Customer Service.
For more information on the App Profile Manager Administrator and App Profile User roles, see Roles and privileges associated with app profile manager
Additionally, the Customer Service Representative role is required to work with the Case entity.
Use the Microsoft 365 admin center to create user accounts for every user who needs access to Omnichannel for Customer Service. For more information, see Create users and assign security roles.
Assign roles to users
Perform the following steps to assign roles to users in the Advanced Settings:
Select Settings > Advanced Settings on the command bar. The Settings page is displayed in a new browser tab.
Select Settings > Security > Users.
Select the users from the list for whom you want to assign a security role.
Select Manage Roles in the menu. The security roles available for the business unit are displayed.
In the Manage User Roles dialog box, select the security roles that you want to assign to the user, and then select OK.
To view and manage users in omnichannel for Customer Service, see Manage users in Omnichannel for Customer Service.
Understand roles and their privileges
Each role in Omnichannel for Customer Service can perform a set of actions based on the privileges that are listed as follows.
|Privileges||Omnichannel administrator||Omnichannel supervisor||Omnichannel agent||Productivity tools user||Productivity tools administrator|
|Can view user list/presence list/work stream list/queue list/PBI config list||Yes||Yes|
|Can edit roles of a user||Yes|
|Can edit default presence and default capacity of a user||Yes||Yes|
|Can edit queue assignment of a user||Yes||Yes|
|Can add/edit/delete presence||Yes|
|Can add/remove users from presence||Yes||Yes|
|Can add/edit/delete presence associations||Yes|
|Can add/edit/delete work streams||Yes|
|Can add/edit/delete channel settings, context settings, routing rules||Yes|
|Can add/edit/delete queues||Yes|
|Can add/remove agents from queue||Yes||Yes|
|Can add/edit/delete bots||Yes|
|Can view/add/edit/delete quick replies||Yes||Yes|
|Can add/edit/delete PBI config||Yes|
|Can view/add/edit/delete operating hours||Yes|
|Can view/add/edit/delete auth settings||Yes|
|Can view operating hours||Yes|
|Can view user list/presence list/work stream list/queue list||Yes|
|Can view quick replies||Yes|
|Can read agent script||Yes|
|Can read agent script step||Yes|
|Can read workflow||Yes|
|Can read macro action||Yes|
|Can create/read/write/append/delete agent script||Yes|
|Can create/read/write/append/delete agent script step||Yes|
|Can create/read/write/append/delete agent script workflow||Yes|
|Can create/read/write/append/delete macro action||Yes|
Provision Omnichannel for Customer Service
Roles and privileges associated with app profile manager
Manage users in Omnichannel for Customer Service
Guide agents with scripts
Automate tasks with macros