Set up unified routing for records
Omnichannel for Customer Service offers a suite of capabilities that extend the power of Dynamics 365 Customer Service Enterprise to enable organizations to instantly connect and engage with their customers across digital messaging channels. An additional license is required to access Omnichannel for Customer service. For more information, see the Dynamics 365 Customer Service pricing overview and Dynamics 365 Customer Service pricing plan pages.
You can configure routing for records in Customer Service Hub, Omnichannel admin center, or Omnichannel Administration. However, unified routing can be configured only in Customer Service Hub or Omnichannel admin center.
If you have only Dynamics 365 Customer Service, the options to configure unified routing is available only after you enable unified routing in service configuration settings.
- After you enable the unified routing feature in Service Configuration Settings, you can't disable it. You'll need to contact Microsoft Support to disable the feature.
- Provisioning unified routing might impact runtime operations on account of solution import that can impact SQL load.
- If you are upgrading your environment and Omnichannel for Customer Service is also installed, you might have existing workstreams for record routing. We recommend that you provision unified routing only after recreating those workstreams for record routing in Omnichannel admin center.
- If you are an existing customer, we recommend that you configure and test unified routing in a test or development environment before configuring it in your production environment.
The following prerequisites are applicable:
- To set up record routing for Customer Service, unified routing must be enabled in your environment. More information: Provision unified routing for Customer Service.
- To route records, you must enable the record for routing using records channel configuration. More information: Records routing.
- You must have the System Administrator role to configure record routing.
- You must have users configured as bookable resource. More information: Set up the user as a bookable resource
Configure unified routing for records
You can configure unified routing for records through Customer Service Hub or Omnichannel admin center.
Perform the following steps to configure record routing:
Do one of the following:
- In Customer Service Hub, in Service Management, on the site map, select Record routing under Unified Routing.
- In Omnichannel admin center, on the site map, select Record routing under General settings.
On the Record routing page, select Add.
In the Add a record type dialog box, select a record from the Record type list, and select Add. The record is added and listed on the Record routing page.
Do the following tasks:
- Configure workstreams.
- Configure intake rules.
Create workstreams for record routing
To configure a workstream for the record, do the following:
In the Customer Service Hub app, in Service Management, on the site map, select Workstream under Unified Routing, and then select New. If you're using Omnichannel admin center, on the site map, select Workstreams under General settings.
In the Create a workstream dialog, enter the following details:
- Name: Enter an intuitive name, such as Contoso case workstream.
- Work distribution mode: Select Push or Pick.
- Type: Select Record.
- Record type: Select a record from the list.
Select Create. The workstream is created.
Configure intake rules
Intake rules for a record help determine the workstream to be picked up to assign an incoming work item.
You can create intake rules independently and map them to basic routing rulesets also. However, on any workstream details page, only those intake rules will be displayed that are mapped to the workstream. Therefore, if you want to prioritize the runtime evaluation of the intake rules, you'll need to select See more on the workstream details page, and reorder the rules in the Decision list.
Perform the following steps to configure the intake rules:
Select the workstream that you configured for routing records, such as the case.
In the Intake rules area, select Create rule.
In the Create intake rule dialog box, enter a name and define the conditions for the rule.
The following screenshot shows a workstream with the required intake rule and route to queues.
Configure work distribution and advanced settings
- In the Work distribution area, you can either accept the default settings or select See more, and update the following options:
- Capacity: Select one of the following options:
- Unit based: Enter value if your organization has configured unit-based capacity.
- Profile based: Specify a profile in the list if your organization has configured profile-based capacity.
- Allowed presences: Select the presences in which agents will be assigned.
- Default skill matching algorithm: Select Exact Match or Closest Match.
- Capacity: Select one of the following options:
- Expand Advanced settings to configure the following options:
The agent notifications that you configure for routing of records based on unified routing will be displayed only in the Customer Service workspace and Omnichannel for Customer Service apps.