Quickstart: Add and assign a client app
In this quickstart, you will use Intune to add and assign a client app to your company's workforce. One of an admin's priorities is to ensure that end users have access to the apps they need to do their work.
If you don’t have an Intune subscription, sign up for a free trial account.
Sign in to Intune
Sign in to Intune as a Global administrator or an Intune Service administrator. If you have created an Intune Trial subscription, the account you created the subscription with is the Global administrator.
Add the client app to Intune
An app can be included so that Intune can manage aspects of the app.
Use the following steps to add an app to Intune:
- In Intune, select Apps > All apps > Add.
- Select Windows 10 in the Office 365 Suite section of the Select app type pane.
- Click Select. The Add app steps are displayed.
- Confirm the default details in the App suite information page.
- Click Next to display the Configure app suite page.
- Next to Update Channel select Monthly from the dropdown box.
- Confirm the remaining default details in the *Configure app suite page.
- Click Next to display the Scope tags page.
- Click Select scope tags to optionally add scope tags for the app. For more information, see Use role-based access control (RBAC) and scope tags for distributed IT.
- Click Next to display the Assignments page.
- Select the group assignments for the app. For more information, see Add groups to organize users and devices.
- Click Next to display the Review + create page. Review the values and settings you entered for the app.
- When you are done, click Create to add the app to Intune.
Assign the app to a group
After you've added an app to Microsoft Intune, you can assign the app to groups of users or devices.
This quickstart builds on previous quickstarts in this series. Please see prerequisites in this quickstart for details.
Use the following steps to assign an app to a group:
- In Intune, select Apps > All apps.
- Select the app that you want to assign to a group.
- Click Assignments > Add group to display the Add group pane.
- Select Available for enrolled devices in the Assignment type dropdown box.
- Click Included Groups > Select groups to include > Contoso Testers.
- Click Select > OK > OK > Save to assign the group.
You now have assigned the app to the Contoso Testers group.
Install the app on the enrolled device
You must install and use the Company Portal app to install the Contoso's To-Do app made available by Intune. Use the following steps to verify that the app is available to the user of the enrolled device.
Log in to your enrolled Windows 10 Desktop device.
The device must be enrolled with Intune. Also, you must sign in to the device using an account contained in the group you assigned to the app.
From the Start menu, open the Microsoft Store. Then, find the Company Portal app and install it.
Launch the Company Portal app.
Click the app that you added using Intune. In this quickstart you added the Microsoft Office 365 app suite app.
If you did not successfully assign any apps to the Intune user, you will see the following message: Your IT administrator did not make any apps available to you.
If your business needs require that you assign the Company Portal app to your workforce, you can manually assign the Windows 10 Company Portal app directly from Intune. For more information see, Manually add the Windows 10 Company Portal app by using Microsoft Intune.
In this quickstart, you added apps to Intune, assigned the apps to a group, and installed the apps on the enrolled Windows 10 Desktop device. For more information about managing apps in Intune, see What is Microsoft Intune app management?
To follow this series of Intune quickstarts, continue to the next quickstart.