Exercise - Create your first budget
Now that you have learned how to create a budget, it is time to try creating your first one on your own. You should have determined your most expensive resource in a previous exercise. If this resource starts accruing more cost, you could see a significantly higher bill at the end of the month. In this exercise, you create a budget to help ensure that costs are monitored. When costs exceed the budget, email alerts are sent to people responsible.
You need your own Azure subscription to run this exercise, and you might incur charges. If you don't already have an Azure subscription, create a free account before you begin.
Access the Azure portal
To start, sign in to the Azure portal using the following step.
- Sign in to the Azure portal and enter your credentials. Navigate to Budgets
Navigate to budgets
Next, in the Azure portal, navigate to budgets.
- In the portal search box, type Subscriptions.
- In the list of services, select Subscriptions.
- In the list of subscriptions, select the subscription that you analyzed in the previous exercise. The subscription contains your most expensive resource.
- In the Cost Management area, select Budgets.
Configure your budget
Next, create a budget.
- Select +Add in the Budgets area, then select Add filter.
- Select the Filter list item, select ResourceID.
- Select the selection list and then select your most expensive resource that you identified in the pervious exercise. A suggested budget is shown. The budget is associated with your selection.
- Name your budget. For example, MyFirstBudget.
- Set the Reset period to Monthly.
- Examine the Budget amount recommendation based on your filter. Then, analyze the View of monthly cost data graph to determine if the threshold meets your needs.
- Optionally, change the budget amount to any value that you like.
- When you've decided on a budget amount, select Next.
Configure a budget alert threshold
Lastly, configure a budget threshold and specify an email address for alert notification.
- Configure the alert condition for 90% of the budget. Don't specify an action group.
- Type your email address in the Alert recipients (email) section.
- Examine the View of monthly cost data graph and verify that the alert threshold is correct.
- Select Create.