Advanced Communications add-on for Microsoft Teams
Effective August 1, 2020, Advanced Communications is available as a Microsoft Teams add-on SKU to any paid Microsoft 365 or Office 365 subscription.
If your organization is looking to further enhance your communication experience, get Advanced Communications for calling and meeting capabilities that include large meetings, meeting customization, and tools to manage your organization's communications policies.
What is Advanced Communications?
Advanced Communications provides enhanced calling and meeting capabilities that address a spectrum of communication needs, including the following:
- Reach larger audiences: Help your users stay connected with live events for up to 20,000 participants and interactive meetings for 1,000 participants with the capability to enable up to 20,000 participants in a view-only meeting experience.
- Tailor and customize meetings: Drive standardization across meetings for your internal and custom-facing scenarios, with features such as custom branded meeting lobby. Implement with flexibility across your organization's departments.
- Manage your organization communications: Monitor, track, and analyze data on users and devices to ensure a smooth experience.
Advanced Communications is available in all Microsoft 365 markets as an add-on to any paid Microsoft 365 or Office 365 subscription. Features included in Advanced Communications won't be added to other Microsoft 365 or Office 365 plans and can't be purchased separately. To get the features, you must purchase the add-on.
Advanced Communications isn't yet available for Microsoft 365 Government Community Cloud (GCC), GCC High, or Department of Defense (DoD) environments. We're planning on making it available later.
At release on August 1, 2020, the following features are available:
- Live events support for up to 20,000 participants, 50 concurrent events, event duration of 16 hours per broadcast
The following features will be available later this year:
- Interactive Teams meetings for up to 1,000 participants
- Interactive Teams meetings for 1,000 participants with the capability to enable up to 20,000 in a view-only meeting experience
- Custom branded meeting lobby
We'll be adding more customizations, tools, and communications enhancements in the coming months.
Note that Advanced Communications doesn't include communications compliance and communications data loss prevention (DLP).
Advanced Communications is $12 per user/month. Keep in mind that only meeting organizers need a license. Meeting attendees don't need a license.
A 60-day trial is available starting August 4, 2020. You can get the trial through the Microsoft 365 admin center.
Difference between overflow meetings and live events
With Advanced Communications, any meeting with more than 300 attendees will provide a way for up to 1,000 participants to have an interactive experience, and up to 20,000 participants to join the meeting in a view-only experience. Live event enables additional capabilities. In live events, 20,000 attendees can watch the broadcast, and interact with Q&A in Teams, conversations in Yammer, or view-only in Microsoft Stream. Additionally, we're increasing the length of the live events from 4 hours to 16 hours and enabling up to 50 concurrent live events per tenant.
The change from using Microsoft Stream to OneDrive for Business and SharePoint for meeting recordings will be a phased approach. At launch you'll be able to opt-in to this experience, in November you'll have to opt-out if you want to continue using Stream, and some time in early 2021 we'll require all customers to use OneDrive for Business and SharePoint for new meeting recordings.
Enterprise and Education SKUs can temporarily hold live events for up to 20,000 attendees, with an event duration of 16 hours per broadcast, and 50 concurrent events within a tenant until October 1, 2020.